• Two 2-ton double locking jack stands
• 36” creeper
• 2-ton trolley jack

$29.98 promo price - $5.00 mail-in rebate = $24.98 kit
#t82201
MoveQik
Leave it to 914 owners to know every jackstand deal in town. laugh.gif
BigDBass
Are either/both of those decent for the price? I'll need a jack and stands for my first 914 (when I get it) but wonder what features/specs to look for and figure you get what you pay for...

tat2dphreak
yea, I think I paid $30 for my little jack alone... $50 for my big jack, that only gets used for engine drops and stuff...

so, yea, the price is pretty good... it's basically free jack stands...
TROJANMAN
you'll need at least 2 ton stands to start.

MW914 (mike), of course, doesn't even own a jack, because he wouldn't know how to use it. and he's only seen jackstands in pictures. flipa.gif

i have 6 ton stands too, because i like the clearance they give me underneath the car (and i need them for my jeep). Walmart has the best price on those (24.95 for a double locking set.)
i prefer the double locking, because it makes me feel only a slight bit safer. you could spend a little more and get a nicer jack, but $25 for that combo is cheap. and you get a creeper. wink.gif

please deposit .02 smile.gif
JerryP
Coincidentally, I got both the craftsman set and the Torin set with the creeper($25 pep boys gift card was burning a hole in my pocket).

Both are fine and useable but in dropping my engine by myself, a jack with higher lift and a wider surface would have been easier and safer....and the jack stands are a little low for my taste also. I'm a bad enough mechanic as it is. Having no room to work just makes it comical. The 6 ton HF jack stands make life easier for me also because of the height. They often go on sale for around $20.
balljoint
Wasn't there a thread recently about Sears and No Warranty on their floor jacks? Just FYI.Sears thread

Here it is.
MoveQik
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Feb 17 2006, 07:29 AM)
i have 6 ton stands too, because i like the clearance they give me underneath the car

Translation = Greg can't fit under the car with just regular jackstands. flipa.gif
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Feb 17 2006, 08:43 AM)
i have 6 ton stands too, because i like the clearance they give me underneath the car

Translation = Jerry can't fit under the car with just regular jackstands. flipa.gif

jerry, he's calling you fat. poke.gif
laugh.gif

MoveQik
Nice try with the edit.
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Feb 17 2006, 09:05 AM)
Nice try with the edit.

ph34r.gif

lol2.gif
BMartin914
Walmart has the best price on those (24.95 for a double locking set.)

Yeah, but you have to actually go into walmart icon8.gif

Just go to Harbor Freight if you want cheap Chinese tools and Jackstands...that's what I do. biggrin.gif
brant
QUOTE (BigDBass @ Feb 17 2006, 08:22 AM)
Are either/both of those decent for the price? I'll need a jack and stands for my first 914 (when I get it) but wonder what features/specs to look for and figure you get what you pay for...

There you go Dan, thinking ahead just like a true 914 fanatic....

planning out your jackstand future...

just teasing.
but hey keep it off the jackstands would ya?
they seem to work like big magnets with these cars and once you put them on they don't come off very well.

brant
JerryP
My first post in a month and I come back to the office to find someone calling me fat. alfred.gif

This thread is about jackstands, not calling guys fat. If you want to call someone fat, go to callingguysfat.com. I'm offended. You're all banned.

Where's that Bad Ass Moderator Guy when you need him?

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif happy11.gif
TROJANMAN
finally, someone witha sense of humor chairfall.gif
deserttoad
Hmmm, the dang engine is under the car? That makes my steal of the century getting a 2 ton engine hoist with an 8-ton ram for 50 bucks worthless?!?!

But it's been pretty handy on the old tractors and that '51 International .

What can I say? I like old stuff that doesn't work!

On another note, would a transmission jack work to get the engine out? Hopefully I won't be doing that for awhile, but just a thought.

Heck if we're OT here and thinking - where do I find a good driver side door?

DT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.