Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: por 15
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sk8kat1
so if you take something down to bare metal then por 15 to help prevent the rust situation ...do you then primer over that then paint ?

is there a better process...

it is for steel rockers
Cap'n Krusty
Follow the directions on the can, or check their website. I believe it requires their special primer. Thje Cap'n
Dave Bell
if in a hidden area you can rough up the surface and paint over it. Easier to use the POR-15 primer that they sell... I have done both... POR-15 primer is easier.

I would not use the POR-15 on any area that is going to be for show, i.e. any visible are... My experience is that the stuff is hard to work with as an undercoat to anything.

Home Depot sells a rust inhibitor paint... can' remember the name... buddy Bill Greenway is using that now on a 914 resotration and it is easy to use and work with... probabaly works just fine for good clean metal..

I will save the POR-15 next time for what the name says... Paint over Rust... It is messy, hard to clean up ....

- Dave
914-8
Been a while since I've POR'd, but from what I recall, the instructions say to let it get tack dry, then spray a very, very thin layer of primer on it. Then let it dry completely, and primer it.

That's what I've always done, and it works very well. That initial thin layer of primer gets stuck to the tack coat, which gives the later layers something to bite to.
brant
got to use the primer.
instructions on their web site or can.

paint won't adhere well at ALL without the primer or special prep...

(found out the hard way)

momma always said to read the directions.
brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.