Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ideas for a restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skeates
Well...For a while now I have been contemlating selling my Jeep and using some that money to do a restoration on the 914 sitting in my parents driveway (read: I am a college student who really wants to get his 914 back!). Unfortunately for my Jeep last Saturday at about 1:00am my Jeep was brutally murdered by a punk Toyota Seqoia when the driver fell asleep at the wheel. The Jeep took it like a champ! However, it is now totalled and I have to deal with 21st Century Insurance (who have been horrible to deal with so far) to get my money for it...

(The light at the end of the tunnel) - Now I have some cash to budget a small scale restoration on the teener to make it my daily driver, however I would only have about 4-weeks or so to do this in. I have been doing some research and I wanted to pass a tentative itinerary by you guys to see what you though about my plan:

Week 1: Nakify the car by completely strip car down to rolling tub
Week 2: Sand Blast and paint the car red-neck style (in garage)
Week 3: Repalce cam w/ Web Cam and Replace L-Jet w/ Webbers then reinstall engine.
Week 4: New Carpet for interior and Trunks, New Seals all around (Drive)

Is this way too ambitious, or are you guys as crazy as I am and think this can be done?

Peace,

Steven

BTW: I have pics of the Jeep if you want to see them!
tat2dphreak
you misspelled 'month' you said 'week'

tdgray
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Feb 17 2006, 04:58 PM)
you misspelled 'month' you said 'week'

Uh yea what he said huh.gif

In my case though week = 1/3 of a year
skeates
Did I mention that I would have all day everyday for all 4-weeks to do this?

That and I have about two months to order supplies so that everything was ready for me when I got there.
Chris Pincetich
You are a very similar situation I just went through...my daily driver was totaled and I used the insurance $$ to fix up the Porsche and drive it. About your plan; Weeks 1-2 might take 3 weeks, but Week 4 is not a full week. However, you very soon find out that once your project begins, you will uncover lurking rust tumors and let the electrical gremlins come out of hiding. laugh.gif

Alomst every part I take off, I clean and maybe paint, then buy new SS or proper grade fastners for the re-install. These steps take 4x longer than just unbolt, fix, bolt on. It's super fun and rewarding, but eats up time.

Good luck! beerchug.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (skeates @ Feb 17 2006, 04:08 PM)
Did I mention that I would have all day everyday for all 4-weeks to do this?

That and I have about two months to order supplies so that everything was ready for me when I got there.

I assumed these things... which is why I said month

good luck
mrdezyne
When you say 4 weeks you mean 7 days a week, 12-16 hours a day and a few able bodies to assist right? I say go for it, we need pics and an updated blog to show your progress each week. Now, ready, set........ GO!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.