Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fuzzyapple
Anybody ever put a Corvair engine in a 914?
Looks like a logical union idea.gif
tdgray
Do a search.

Been discussed many times. One (I think) known conversion.

Definitley a few tricky things to get around... like the motor spinning the wrong way (I think... damn getting old is hell)
SLITS
Runs backwards..talk to Dr. Evil
tdgray
Ha.......... beat ya Old Man
tat2dphreak
type 4 not leaking enough for you?

biggrin.gif

Eric_Shea
Put a 911 tranny in it wink.gif
wbergtho
I PM'd you the e-mail address of a guy in Utah who put a Corvair motor in his 914. He said it had about 150HP and liked it.

Regards,

Bill
BIGKAT_83
Theres a Corvair powered 914 around Atlanta with a Sheridan body kit and 17"wheels . The engine has 3bl weber carbs from a 911.
The car is extra nice. May be able to get some pictures of it.

Bob
TJB/914
How about a corvair powered 1961 356 Porsche?? I posted pictures this summer from a local cruise in.

Tom
I have more pics if interested.
TJB/914
Forgot to say it had an auto transmission. Here's the old fellow who built it. He was really proud.

Tom
tdgray
I remeber that car... weren't ther some other wierd things about that car?

Damn I am getting old can't remember anything. dry.gif
TJB/914
Yep, he had some kind of injection system. Hit a button on the steering wheel and injected the carbs for more power (see the little red button on the steering wheel). The builder did all the work himself and hated by the 356 crowd.

He smiled and had another beer. Got to like a guy like that.

Tom
gregrobbins
As a kid growing up in Riverside CA, there was a shop near the house, Adams Service, who worked on Porsches. I used to hang around the shop a little. I remember once hearing the mechanics talking about trying to add Covair cylinders and pistons to a Porsche case. Or maybe it was the other way around.

Going for bigger displacement. I remember them saying that they kept hurting parts.
SLITS
BTW, if you find Jared, he'll tell you how to install the rubber main bearings in the block

av-943.gif
wbergtho
Hey Bob, is this the car you're talking about. I had heard Hans sold it in 6/03. I'll bet this is the car you've seen. A while ago, I talked with Hans Wychgram (formerly from Utah) who used to own this car. He built it with his father I believe. I think it looks damn nice.
BIGKAT_83
Thats it sold on ebay to someone in Atlanta and he's done more work to it. I think it came from Montana. I posted a picture of this last week on thread a corvair with a C4 porsche drivetrain all wheel drive and all.
user posted image
Bob
Cap'n Krusty
Here's a link to an even more interesting Corvair. Talk about having too much time on your hands!

http://www.corvaircorsa.com/V-12-01.html

The Cap'n
rick 918-S
I built this car about 25 years ago.. cool.gif
tdgray
Nice Rick...

I really like the mid year 'vairs. 'specially the coupes wub.gif
Dead Air
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 17 2006, 06:46 PM)
Here's a link to an even more interesting Corvair. Talk about having too much time on your hands!

http://www.corvaircorsa.com/V-12-01.html

The Cap'n

[QUOTE]

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Check out the flywheel!

I wonder what Jake thinks about the corvair?
fuzzyapple
Hey, thanks Bill for the info but I'm not going to make any conversion soon, if at all. Had a Corvair years ago and was just curious after seeing all the water-cooled conversions. Maybe someday.
My little no-heat, headers with 2 mufflers and Webers '72 1.7 runs great for my needs and doesn't leak a drop. smile.gif
And yeah, I should've done a search before asking. headbang.gif
dlee1967
Someone (I don't remember who) makes a reverse rotation camshaft for the Corvair motor so that you can put the engine in a 914 or bug without any transaxle modifications. 20 years ago, while in college, I assisted a 914 owner in this conversion when he could not get the motor to run properly. DLee
turbodan60
QUOTE (dlee1967 @ Feb 19 2006, 12:22 PM)
Someone (I don't remember who) makes a reverse rotation camshaft for the Corvair motor so that you can put the engine in a 914 or bug without any transaxle modifications. 20 years ago, while in college, I assisted a 914 owner in this conversion when he could not get the motor to run properly. DLee

crow mfg. had the cam ( billet's & regrinds came from Crower Cams along w/ the distribtor gear drive.) .. i built alot of them. yor friends problem is most likely not putting the pistons in reverse order.. ( corviars had a piston off-set.. hope this helps ! i am going to install smilie_pokal.gif a 3.3 ( 205 c.i. ) subie flat six s.v.x. engine in a 914 230 h.p stock & weights about 265lbs. w/ all the smog removed Turbodan
7toes
Bob, FYI I rebuilt that vair powered 914 while I worked at ( puke here) asshole atlanta, it is a very strong unit, putting out about 300hp, it has a big bore kit,292 cam 3bbl Webers,Petronix ign, ported and extensivly modified heads,behive valve springs,roller rockers,custom pushrods,modfied 914/6 heat exchangers/headers,remote oil cooler,custom fabbed pulleys,modfied 4 speed t/axle,3800# clutch,aluminum flywheel, and a host of other modifactions,I cant compleatly remember. I can build you one for the bargin price of only 15 large,please do not ask me why someone would spend that kind of money,different strokes,ect... confused24.gif
So.Cal.914
Everyone I knew with a corvair thought they were 007 in there DB-5, they would

leave an oil slick everywhere they went.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.