Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: calling 914 gurus
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TimT
Im a long time 911 guy, just bought a semi tube 914 with a 3.2 weber 40's, web cam 20/21's. Bilstein coil over all around f/r sway bars

Car will is track only but has some handling issues
(I know the car..... its loosey goosey in the rear)

Whats are some starting alignment recomendations? ( will live on hossiers)

and sprign rate recomendations?

Thanks for your advice
SirAndy
if you haven't already done so, tighten down the front swaybar to get rid of that "loosey goosey" feeling in the rear ...

Andy aktion035.gif
TimT
I wont be driving the car till April so Ill keep that in mind.
drew365
You'll have to post some more info, like the springs you have now, size of sway bars, I assume you have limited slip. Not too many of us have semi-tube frame cars with coil overs but I'm sure if you post what you have you'll get some good advice.
ChrisReale
got a picture of this beast? pray.gif
J P Stein
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you are.
Modifying the suspension has left me with no idea as to how the car is gonna react.

I have dialed in 2 deg negative camber at the rear and am working towards the same at the front.
I am hoping that i've got the spring rates (F & R) balanced close enuff that the front sway bar and tire pressure adjustments will allow me to get the car balanced....a bit to the loose side for AX. IMO, that's the key, adjustability.

It sounds like your new car has sufficient power to
also make "adjustments" with your right foot.
Power oversteer is a mixed blessing. An otherwise
well balanced car can look sloppy loose by too much input on the loud pedal blink.gif

Does the back end start coming around at turn in?
Was the PO trail braking? (This can be done with a 914 without the consequences that will afflict the 911, but ya still gotta be careful)
The 914 is a snap spinner, giving very little warning
of breaking loose. From my limited experience, I find that one has to learn to anticipate this. Tires with good recovery characteristics are an added bonus.

Since I recommended that you come here lookin' for answers, I figured I'd put in my .02.
Hopefully, someone that really has their shit together will jump in here and help out both of us.
ChrisReale
Hey JP, did you get a new sway bar? Curious....
J P Stein
QUOTE(ChrisReale @ Feb 19 2003, 12:09 PM)
Hey JP, did you get a new sway bar?  Curious....

Yuppers. A Tarett Eng. 22mm goodie.......lotso' anodized stuff....I'm a sucker for anodize, I'm a latent ricer, me thinks confused24.gif

It's a nice rig,well thought out and engineered, IMO.
The 70 bucks (or so )extra over the Welt jobbie is money well spent(another opinion). It even has *instructions*......wow, what I do with them?
It also mounts right up to the existing holes of the stock bar or the Welt jobbie. I have to drop it down bout .25 in., tho. I had the old one mounted too high......it was....ahem.....rubbing lightly on the gas tank.....a small safety hazard. :toilet:

I'll be doing my pic thang as I get in installed this weekend, of course. One of them "product review" thingys.
Don Wohlfarth
My car is semi tube frame, 2.8, coilovers, running 7 & 8 X 16 Fuchs with 225 & 245 Michelin Cups. Fronts are 350 rears 275#. Have weird size front sway, will have to check, but think it's 24.5, no rear sway. I can balance the car with front sway.
Removed RSR struts for custom raised spindles. Have JRZ single adjustable shocks all around that have been shortened. Run 2 degrees neg all corners with Michelins. Plan to run 1.75 neg in rear this year. Front tire temps accross tire OK, rear temps accross tire borderline low on outside reason for change. Have tried tire pressures from 30 to 36 hot and settled on 35. May try lower pressures this year. Have run BFG R1's, Kumho V700's, and Proxie R1"s before Michelins. All brands have lasted at least one season and are replaced only in hunt for better tire. Tire wear has always been excellent (except for the occasional flat spot.) sad.gif Car weights just over 1900# with full cage tied into suspension points.
I'm a old Phart de guy and run 16-18 track days a year in experienced/advanced run groups. IMHO a moded 914 can be a handful with little/no warning of a snap spin. Procede with caution.
ChrisReale
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Feb 19 2003, 01:02 PM)
QUOTE(ChrisReale @ Feb 19 2003, 12:09 PM)
Hey JP, did you get a new sway bar?  Curious....

Yuppers. A Tarett Eng. 22mm goodie.......lotso' anodized stuff....I'm a sucker for anodize, I'm a latent ricer, me thinks confused24.gif

It's a nice rig,well thought out and engineered, IMO.
The 70 bucks (or so )extra over the Welt jobbie is money well spent(another opinion). It even has *instructions*......wow, what I do with them?
It also mounts right up to the existing holes of the stock bar or the Welt jobbie. I have to drop it down bout .25 in., tho. I had the old one mounted too high......it was....ahem.....rubbing lightly on the gas tank.....a small safety hazard. :toilet:

I'll be doing my pic thang as I get in installed this weekend, of course. One of them "product review" thingys.

I look forward to the pics...maybe my tax return will allow for a tarrett bar.....?
TimT
Don thanks for the info,

The car I just bought has the Bilstien RSR front struts and bilstien rear coilovers. The owner couldnt find the reciepts for the springs, and didnt recall the #'s ( its ok I know the guy and the car).

Right now the rear sway bar is disconnected, only the front (22) bar is connected.

I will be replacing the 7&8's with yokohamas with the 7&9 with hoosiers that usually go on my 911.

This car weighs ~2100 ( has all steel doors and lids)with a 3.2

I was planning on picking the car up this saturday, but that means digging out my trailer, digging out the garage the car is in. Ive moved enough snow in the past few days to last a long time. Think Ill wait for a thaw till I go get the car

Im also getting a couple of spare gear boxesd with the car.

I wonder how this car will affect my 911 project? biggrin.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE(TimT @ Feb 20 2003, 07:52 AM)

I wonder how this car will affect my 911 project? biggrin.gif

Heh, heh......BTDT.

There are few things more viscreal than having a good 6 mit Webers howling away about 18 inches from your head. blink.gif
cha914
speaking of rear camber numbers...about how much of a shim accounts for 1* of camber?

just found that with no shims the car has -3* of camber in the rear

- Tony
J P Stein
As a rule of thumb (no wife beater here....gotta be PC, eh), 1 mm =10 min of camber, so 6mm = 1 deg.
Working out the math gave me 5.3mm but what the hay.......

Camber is also ride height dependent.
I started with bout 1/4 neg. Dropped the ride height .75, took out a 2mm shim and got 2 deg negative.

Your results may vary.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.