Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Windshields In Stock
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Member Vendors
greg.treadway
Front tinted windshield for the 914, all years. In the past the 914 windshield has been a hit or miss item to find. We are happy to be able to offer the tinted windshield shipped to your doorstep. Boxed in extra heavy duty, made-for-the-windshield boxing, our windshields are only shipped via UPS ground. Please allow 2-3 weeks for delivery though time is usually less. Due to the nature of the item, glass, and the size there is a substantial shipping charge of $100 and a $20 boxing fee, which is why we try our best to keep the cost of the item as low as possible. We cannot ship these out of the U.S.

user posted image

PRICE $260 - CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO
jim_hoyland
Who is the manufacturer and where are they made ?
Dr Evil
Greg,
You may wish to look into FedEx, they have always been cheaper for large items like a windshield, and have never broken any of my stuff like UPS repeatedly did.

$.02 I hope you sell a lot.

Oh ya, and what Jim asked, what manufacturer?
greg.treadway
To my knowledge there are three companies that have made these in any recent time. One if PPG - I can't find any more of these. Another is a company out of South Africa names Safevue and the ones that are still being produced are out of China called XYG Glass.

As for shipping, I'm always looking for the best deal. I hope this helps. Let me know when you want one.
rhodyguy
so...who is the manufacturer of these items? that seems to be the primary question.

k
Dr Evil
I agree. Mainly because the chinese and mexican varieties can be had installed for very little $$$ (see my threads on such). PPG is touted as the gold standard by some and thus they are more $$$, but I have seen no apreciable difference between the less expensive asian/latin ones and the PPG glass that I have seen other thanthe PPG logo and the $200 more price tag.
rhodyguy
yep. i've seen the less exspensive fit both great and crappy. so gregs item at $380 shipped, and then the install fees (if you had a shop do it, they would prob charge a premium for a "walk in carrying", and the install warrenty might be non-existant). you'd be pushing $500. a member local to me found a shop that sourced a sigla. when the dust settled he was into it for $600 or so.

k
greg.treadway
I thought I said the manufacturers. XYG Glass and Safevue. I wish I could sell them cheaper. I only posted since I had received some questions about getting glass. I hope this helps and I'll let you know if the PPG (prefered) comes along. As for walking in with the glass - just have the shop order it and then they will warrantee it - maybe.
Dr Evil
Duh, yup you said the manufacturer. Sorry I missed it.

Kevin, $600! Dang, I wont tell you what I paid for mine...much, much less installed. But I was living next to Mexico and it was the cheaper manufacturer.

Greg,
I am sure that there will be people needing these.
greg.treadway
Thanks Dr. Evil. How are you liking PA? Are you going to have a booth at the swap meet this year?
jetboy
What % is the tint on these? Anything noticable and California cops are quick to write that ticket.
Dr Evil
Hey Greg,
PA is nice, but not much time to explore with the whole med school thing and all. Nope, no booth either dry.gif

Jet boy, added tint to a windshield in CA is not legal up to a certain amount of the top part of it. If theses are the same type of windshields that I have had then they will be legal. Look at any new car and you will see factory tinting at the top of the windshield only.
HTH
jetboy
Dr Evil,

I know that tint on the top portion of a windshield is legal (CA is 4" max). But, some states allow a full tinted front window. From the look of the little picture in the first post, it seems to me as though it is a uniform tint on the entire windshield. That is why i was asking. I would rather know before recieving glass i cant even use.
greg.treadway
Sorry for the delay. You are both right. There are two versions available. One version has a tint throught the whole windshield which is factory tint - the same as all the glass in the car. The second has an extra bluish/greenish band of tint at the top like you might see on more modern vehicles. Some would call the first one "clear" but if you check your PET system it is really tint.

Does that help? Or do more damage.
rhodyguy
more info is always a good thing greg. my intention was not to bash your ad with my replies. another resource for what can be a difficult item to find, is great.

k
greg.treadway
QUOTE(xitspd @ Apr 14 2006, 10:29 PM) *

Call Steve Aven at 714-637-1234. He has been selling them for at least 11 years that I am aware of, on a regular basis. Dave B. at TRE is another excellent choice. They are both shops located in So. CA.

Cheers,

Dan

I guess I was hyjacked.
Part Pricer
QUOTE(greg.treadway @ Apr 15 2006, 02:43 AM) *

QUOTE(xitspd @ Apr 14 2006, 10:29 PM) *

Call Steve Aven at 714-637-1234. He has been selling them for at least 11 years that I am aware of, on a regular basis. Dave B. at TRE is another excellent choice. They are both shops located in So. CA.

Cheers,

Dan

I guess I was hyjacked.

Yea, that was really unnecessary. If Steve or Dave want to offer parts to our community, let them start their own thread. At least Greg is showing some initiative.

Bertus
Greg, do you have a "store front" around Atlanta, or are you mail order only? In another words could I have a friend who lives in Alfaretta come pick up a winshield for me?

Thanks, Bert
elwood-914
Hi Greg,
Is there any cheaper way to ship? The $100 for shipping is a bit to steep for me.

Tim
RobPattillo
QUOTE(greg.treadway @ Feb 24 2006, 07:52 AM) *

To my knowledge there are three companies that have made these in any recent time. One if PPG - I can't find any more of these. Another is a company out of South Africa names Safevue and the ones that are still being produced are out of China called XYG Glass.

As for shipping, I'm always looking for the best deal. I hope this helps. Let me know when you want one.

I have found that DHL is the best overall shipper that I have used. They will even come and pick it up without charging an arm and a leg like the others do. Go to their website and try it out.
greg.treadway
As you guys familiar with shipping know, sometimes the box alone costs an arm and a leg. Shipping glass is always tricky. With this one, the cost just is what it is.

Let me know when you want one.
914rbust
Just to clarify terminology, in the autoglass world, tint means the entire glass , shade is the term for the blue or green (usually) stripe across the top. If cali limits it to 4 inches then every caravan is illegal so are freestars blah, blah blah.Also PPG no longer exists they sold all autoglass operations and are now PGW. made in china mostly but not all by fyg or xyg. Anyway, the quality of all of them really suck! I use them all every day. It ain't like the old days.Nobody is going to warrantee any piece of glass they didn't sell with at least a 100% markup.That's just how this biz works. If it leaks or breaks I'm not going to lose $ on your glass. break even maybe, but not lose. Not being a dick here just telling it like it is, everywhere, these guys aren't in biz to lose. Good luck..
carr914
Dude, the thread is over 3 years old

T.C.
JazonJJordan
QUOTE(greg.treadway @ Feb 18 2006, 11:36 AM) *

Front tinted windshield for the 914, all years. In the past the 914 windshield has been a hit or miss item to find. We are happy to be able to offer the tinted windshield shipped to your doorstep. Boxed in extra heavy duty, made-for-the-windshield boxing, our windshields are only shipped via UPS ground. Please allow 2-3 weeks for delivery though time is usually less. Due to the nature of the item, glass, and the size there is a substantial shipping charge of $100 and a $20 boxing fee, which is why we try our best to keep the cost of the item as low as possible. We cannot ship these out of the U.S.

IPB Image

dry.gif link bad x2 and greg t last logon was last year-Dec. -sorry- blink.gif
JazonJJordan
QUOTE(914rbust @ Jul 10 2009, 09:48 PM) *

Just to clarify terminology, in the autoglass world, tint means the entire glass , shade is the term for the blue or green (usually) stripe across the top. If cali limits it to 4 inches then every caravan is illegal so are freestars blah, blah blah.Also PPG no longer exists they sold all autoglass operations and are now PGW. made in china mostly but not all by fyg or xyg. Anyway, the quality of all of them really suck! I use them all every day. It ain't like the old days.Nobody is going to warrantee any piece of glass they didn't sell with at least a 100% markup.That's just how this biz works. If it leaks or breaks I'm not going to lose $ on your glass. break even maybe, but not lose. Not being a dick here just telling it like it is, everywhere, these guys aren't in biz to lose. Good luck..

biggrin.gif Thanks for the inside info~! shades.gif
JazonJJordan
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 11 2009, 12:14 AM) *

Dude, the thread is over 3 years old

T.C.

...I'm a fan of Crash Davis....now- who is he(?) Great quote T.C., such is life~
lenreinsmith
QUOTE(greg.treadway @ Feb 18 2006, 10:36 AM) *

IPB Image

I'm interested in buying one. Do you have any with the dark tint on the top?
Thanks, Len

FlacaProductions
the last post on this thread was 10 years ago - and it was started over 13 years ago so.....draw your own conclusions. But welcome to 914World, @lenreinsmith!
lenreinsmith
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Sep 2 2019, 06:58 PM) *

the last post on this thread was 10 years ago - and it was started over 13 years ago so.....draw your own conclusions. But welcome to 914World, @lenreinsmith!

Thanks for your reply. Finding it hard to to get a windshield.
Any suggestions?
Thanks, Len
mepstein
Porsche dealer
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.