Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - World's most Insane Train
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott Carlberg
This train goes 500 Kilometers an HOUR! shocked[1].gif shocked[1].gif

Yeah I know, that's possibly the LONGEST link EVER! smile.gif

http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?v...%26len%3D370903
campbellcj
There was a show on this recently; Discovery HD I believe. Very cool. Supposedly the company that makes the Maglev trains is pushing for an LA to Vegas bullet train. I doubt it will ever happen, though, and it would be tough to compete w/ the cheap airfares.
Hawktel
I would love a 300 mph train from San Francisco, out I80 to New York. I'd use the hell out of it. And one down I15 down to LA, and one from I5 LA to Seattle.

I think we as a country really need to start considering a train like this. That would make Vegas 1.4 hours from me. Vegas to LA would be what? 45 minutes?
I think it would be easy to compete with Airfares. First, Airfares are broken. How many solvent airline companies are there? Second with Boarding/ ticket counters, parking at airports, I think a well ran train could easily beat planes as a mass transport system.
johannes
In France we have a system called "High speed Train" (TGV) . First one was built about 20 years ago.
They can go on regular rails so you can have connexions with all existing stations.
A world record was set at 515,3 kph but regular cruise speed is about 300 to 350 kph.
They are very comfortable and price is about half of the plane. For trips less than 800 miles Its considered as fast as the plane because it goes from town center to town center.
Theese trains also go from Paris to London under the channel . You can have up to one train every 15 minutes on rush hour.

You can watch a fiew vids here

http://www.lkgeorge.org/hsfrench/frenchvideos.htm

user posted image

user posted image

The first one (about 20 years ago)
user posted image
lapuwali
My wife and I took the TGV from London to Paris and back a few years ago. It's absolutely THE way to make that trip. They're limited to only 60-70mph on the English side, but once you're through the Chunnel, it speeds up and the you're doing Le Mans class speeds all the way to Gare du Nord. Very quiet, big seats, no vibration. Much better than an airplane.

I agree that a high speed train along I-5 would make a lot of economic sense, as would one from Boston to DC, through NYC. They've been talking about both for years, though.
J P Stein
QUOTE (Hawktel @ Feb 18 2006, 12:49 PM)

I think it would be easy to compete with Airfares. First, Airfares are broken. How many solvent airline companies are there? Second with Boarding/ ticket counters, parking at airports, I think a well ran train could easily beat planes as a mass transport system.

OK, then. Sell your Southwest stock & put it all on ....ah...Amtrack. laugh.gif
fiid
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Feb 18 2006, 03:03 PM)
My wife and I took the TGV from London to Paris and back a few years ago. It's absolutely THE way to make that trip. They're limited to only 60-70mph on the English side, but once you're through the Chunnel, it speeds up and the you're doing Le Mans class speeds all the way to Gare du Nord. Very quiet, big seats, no vibration. Much better than an airplane.

I agree that a high speed train along I-5 would make a lot of economic sense, as would one from Boston to DC, through NYC. They've been talking about both for years, though.

TGV is awesome - I've done London - Paris - which is nice, but not as good as Paris - Bordeaux - which was not as good as Marseilles - Paris... that was a long trip and at super-fast speeds for a lot of the distance. The ride quality was excellent and in first class even the food/drink service was awesome.

SF-LA would be a natural I think - but ideally San Diego - LA - Oakland - Portland - Seattle - Vancouver would be killer. They could even stick a car transporter on it. A vegas leg would just be killer too.

johannes
You are right. Paris Marseilles is the last built and is the fastest. 3 hours for 800 kms.

All theese investments were possible because the french railroad is a public company.
The investment is not worth for a private company because you can't earn anything before 10 to 20 years.
Must be a political will.
johannes
I just found a video of the TGV World record at 515,3 km/h

grantsfo
Shanghai has an elevated Maglev train that goes from the airport to downtown. Scary when it passes above the Freeway

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...6lr%3D%26sa%3DG
Porcharu
Funny that no one has mentioned Japans Shinkanson (sp?) What a sweet way to travel - make sure to spend the extra couple of bucks for the "green car" MUCH nicer. Door to door it's faster than a plane on a 300-400 mile trip.
rhcb914
as would one from Boston to DC, through NYC. They've been talking about both for years, though.

Already have the acela that goes from Boston to DC. Travels at about 150mph.

Amtrak Acela

grantsfo
Appears several regions in US are looking at Maglev trains

http://www.calmaglev.org/default.php?getpage=home
http://www.bwmaglev.com/links.htm
http://www.maglevpa.com/
alpha434
Everybody with any sense in their head would. Look at those things fly! And for about half of a plane ticket, there's a more consistant profit. The trains run cleaner and more efficiently. Faster. it's a 100% upgrade. Well, until they finally get those subspace high altitude planes working. The ones that they can't make reliable and have been working on since 96. Stupid aeroplanes. Damn inconvenient, too. Baggage check and whatnot. Airport security. Train station. A train to where you're going comes every 45 minutes. There wouldn't ever be enough people in one train station to make it worth a terrorist blowing up. And you can't steal a train and do stuff with it.... 100% upgrade.
zouo
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Feb 18 2006, 04:40 PM)
Shanghai has an elevated Maglev train that goes from the airport to downtown.  Scary when it passes above the Freeway

I've been on the Shanghai maglev many times. It is uncomfortably fast. 431km/h. Takes you from the Airport to the outskirts of Pudong.

It's especially interesting because halfway through the journey it passes the oncoming train passing in the opposite direction both at full speed. The attendents ask you to watch the window and if you blink you will miss it. shocked[1].gif

Unfortunatly, few people use it other than local chinese tourists. It should have been built further into Pudong and the arrangements for getting a taxi once you get off are a farce.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.