Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: KB Piston Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dave Bell
Anybody know how to tell the correct orientation for installing the KB Pistons? I can't tell from looking at them which direction is supposed to be facing the flywheel.

Only documentation talks about the ring gap settings... nothing on orientation.

See photos below
Dave Bell
asd
Dave Bell
asd
Dave Bell
asd
Jake Raby
There is ZERO offset on the KB pistons. They can be installed any way possible- BUT since those are the versions that have the super high pin height they REQUIRE mods to the lower oil rail or you will desytroy the rings and your cylinders. I have specific instructyions about this for the customers that buy pistons from us. Did these come from my store?

If not do you have the instructions? DO NOT INSTALL THEM IF YOU DO NOT! Consult with the supplier before costing yourself a set of cylinders and rings!

These mods must be made to keep the lower oil rail from aligning with the wrist pin bore during operation, if that happens the engine will consume it's self immediately!

STOP!
Brett W
THey do not have an offset wrist pin like the stock pistons.
rhodyguy
can you help with that demension? are these the sames ones? they are marked with "2323" on the same side as the "KB". the other side has an "02" and "SL". i don't think my supplier is going to give me any info. sad.gif alfred.gif i'm definately STOPPED!!

k
Dave Bell
Thanks for info on orientation Jake and Brett

I have the instructions about modifying the lower oil ring to clearance for the 1/16" roll pin.

After reading through their instructions again.... it looks like they want you to take off 0.065 from the "unmodified oil ring.

Rings are Hastings and the oil ring expander seems to fit nicely over the roll pin as well

_________

These pistons are a work of art. They came through Demello who did a 78mm crank with Chevy rod journals for me.

On my scale... supposedly accurate to 0.1 grams.... the pistons with wrist pin fall within +/- 0.5 grams of a central value of about 481 grams. Piston about 382 grams and pin 99 grams.

Compare that to a 2.0 bus piston I have laying around... 424 grams for the piston and 168 grams for the pin...

My old 1.8 pistons weigh over 500 grams and the pins are 190 grams.

That's over 30% piston and pin weight reduction compared to the 1.8L set up.

______

I am in nooooo hurry... still waiting for some bearings and I have not even mocked anything up to start checking deck height.
ConeDodger
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Feb 18 2006, 06:37 PM)
can you help with that demension? are these the sames ones? they are marked with "2323" on the same side as the "KB". the other side has an "02" and "SL". i don't think my supplier is going to give me any info. sad.gif alfred.gif i'm definately STOPPED!!

k

So I am guessing that your supplier was Steve Stromberg?
Jake Raby
One day people will learn.

It's so easy if you take the advantages easily assessible for just a couple bucks more...

Be very careful with that mod, the factory instructions will easily lead one astray- they did me the first 4 times I worked with them.
Dave Bell
I am all ears to hear what to watch out for

I would love to see a Type IV book like Wayne did for the sixes. You would be the perfect person to do it Jake.

I have your video and be referring to that... among other things....

davep
QUOTE (Dave Bell @ Feb 18 2006, 09:27 PM)
I would love to see a Type IV book like Wayne did for the sixes. You would be the perfect person to do it Jake.

Yeah, then stromberg.gif will photocopy it and sell it to all and sundry.
I wouldn't hold my breath. Jake is good, and smart.
Jake Raby
I have been working on a bok for over 6 years, but I keep breaking new ground that updates the info and outdates it....

As soon as it was published it would already be outdated, more than likelly.
scotty b
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Feb 19 2006, 07:37 AM)
I have been working on a bok for over 6 years, but I keep breaking new ground that updates the info and outdates it....

As soon as it was published it would already be outdated, more than likelly.

That's easy. Publish the book, sell at $25.00, every time you come up with something better write a supplement article, sell it for $10.00, come to this site after about 4 hrs. of putting the supplement out and read the 5 pages of people calling you a greedy S.O.B. who doesn't appreciate us and should give us what we want for the prices we want to pay for it. Then you post your retort and start up another 5 pages of Jake bashing by people who have never dealt with you and can't afford to deal with you ($$) and have npo idea of the tiome and money you have spent out of pocket to provide then with ACCURATE info not available elsewhere. So in short....book + supplements = MO' MONEY MO' MONEY MO' MONEY
Jake Raby
Scotty, what you posted is very easy to think and very easy to post but difficult for a perfectionist to accomplish.... If I write a book, it will be to further the information that the world can gain about the TIV engine and its uses and proper manipulation.

More than likely every dollar it generated past what it takes to publish would go to charity....

If you haven't figured it uot yet, I don't do this work to watch my bottom line get bigger and bigger, its all about the Redline and doing what I love to do. As long as I can live comfortably and play with toys I could care less.
alpha434
I'd buy every book and article written by Jake for 25 and 10 bucks apiece. I'm infatuated with his work. And his commitment to the community. I'd pay just to get a hold of some of his notes. Who here can say the same?

smash.gif
Allan
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Feb 19 2006, 03:00 PM)
I'd buy every book and article written by Jake for 25 and 10 bucks apiece. I'm infatuated with his work. And his commitment to the community. I'd pay just to get a hold of some of his notes. Who here can say the same?

smash.gif

Stalker...
alpha434
QUOTE (Headrage @ Feb 19 2006, 03:17 PM)

Stalker...

To lazy to stalk people. That's what the internet is for. No work involved. Not when I'm just sitting here.

Here ya go. finger.gif
Allan
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Feb 19 2006, 03:21 PM)
QUOTE (Headrage @ Feb 19 2006, 03:17 PM)

Stalker...

To lazy to stalk people. That's what the internet is for. No work involved. Not when I'm just sitting here.

Here ya go. finger.gif

Noob, calm down.

I get your point. Just ease into the club.

Okay?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.