Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Howling sound
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
smooth_eddy
I have a intermittent howling sound that seems to be getting worse. It happens b/t 25 and 35 MPH. It always goes away as soon as I tap my breaks. But when I let off of the break pedal, it starts howling again. Does not happen all the time, but enough to start gettting annoying. Eddy
ejm
Had the same problem last summer...found a brake pad was dragging due to a sticky caliper
Mark Henry
Go do the push/pull test on all your wheels. If any have a lot of play you need new bearings.
smooth_eddy
Go do the push/pull test on all your wheels. If any have a lot of play you need new bearings

Is this with the car sitting on the ground or sitting on jackstands? Eddy
lapuwali
Jack up each wheel and try to wiggle it by holding the tire at the top and bottom. Even if you don't get any play, you may need them, anyway. I've had wheel bearings fail in such a way that the just got scraped by something hard that got in there, and they made lots of noise but weren't loose.

If the noise also changes when you turn, it's almost certainly wheel bearings.
smooth_eddy
If the noise also changes when you turn, it's almost certainly wheel bearings.

Hmmmm.....I think I have noticed the noise happening after taking a corner??? But sometimes it just happens on a straight-away too. Eddy
IronHillRestorations
I'm going to guess wheel bearing, but I'd also check your transmission fluid too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.