Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what tirepressure gauge to get?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
i'm tired of the gas station tire pressure "guess-o-meter" ...

so i went to my local FLAPS (kragen) and they had nice looking ones.
but i remember someone said something about getting one with water inside. and they didn't have any of those.

will the generic one from FLAPS, round dial, bleeding valve, long hose, but no water, work *ok*?

and if not, where can i get the gud schtuff?
idea.gif Andy
Trekkor
They have the nice ones at Wine Country Motorsports at Sears.

KT
Aaron Cox
fluid in the gauge? usually those are fuel pressure gauges or pressure gauge for HIGH vibration use.....

tire inflation aint one of em tongue.gif

get a nice digital one
J P Stein
One of them round ones with a hose is fine....or close enuff.
It's all relative anyhow. If you *need* absloute, spend money.
campbellcj
I really like the Longacre ones. Not cheap but they are very well made. Like any good tool, it should last years and years if you take care of it.

I would definitely get one with a hose so you can more comfortably and quickly get a reading no matter where the valve is positioned; especially with very wide wheels.

A bleed valve is very handy at the track to quickly get the pressure where you want. The cheapo gauges do not have this feature. Some of them also have a glow-in-the-dark dial to help in early morning or late evening use.

This one is what I use, or very similar.

user posted image
Trekkor
Yep, that's like mine.

FYI- the free "stick" types they give away at America's Tire Co. are actually *very* accurate. We checked.

KT
brant
Actually we have air guages with "fluid" (oil) in them.
They are failry common and help dampen.

guages are interesting.
they can come out of calibration VERY easily.
I only bother to test annually and find them out of calibration constantly.

Its really a good practice to replace them everyother year or have them recalibrated/tested... or just know how far off they are and adjust accordingly.

I now use them only as a reference, and don't depend upon the pressure read out to actually be accurate.

There was a test about 8 years back in euro car where they put 20-30 different brand guages against each other. They found that the digital ones in general were more accurate because they were not as effected by being bumped, used, hauled. In other words their calibration was not as easily thrown off and over time they could still remain accurate for more than a week or two.

so I have 2 digitals and 2 oil filled guages.... Remember, my advice about replacing regularly? Well I did, but still can't make myself throw anything away, so I keep around my old ones and just know that such and such guage is 3 lbs off....

Since you will end up doing tire pressures by wear, handling, and perhaps even a temp probe... the actuall pressure number on the guage is all relative.

but I still carry 2 guages to events and check them against each other.

brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.