Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flywheel removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ventilator01
Im to the point in my teardown that I need to remove the flywheel, this part is not covered in the video I bought, do I need to make any reference markings before I start unbolting?
Thx
steve
tat2dphreak
no ref. marks unless you are going to re-use the press. plate... (not recommended, unless it's already "new")

just take off the 6 bolts to remove the PP, then 5 to take off the flywheel(use a breaker bar, they are on tight)... use new bolts and crush washer when putting the flywheel back on
rhodyguy
there is a flywheel lock tool that helps. can't find mine right now so no picture. they're shown at pelican. you will need to get the spline alignment tool for reassem. most bug shops will have them, pretty cheap too. a compressor and impact gun makes short work of the removal.

k
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Feb 19 2006, 02:13 PM)
there is a flywheel lock tool that helps. can't find mine right now so no picture. they're shown at pelican. you will need to get the spline alignment tool for reassem. most bug shops will have them, pretty cheap too. a compressor and impact gun makes short work of the removal.

k

I just jab a screwdriver though the holes in the flywheel... confused24.gif
mack914
I had to apply a little heat to those bolts....to get them loose welder.gif ar15.gif
rhodyguy
you're an animal wayne biggrin.gif . i think the fwl was like $7 at ovals (a local bug place). it's very helpful upon reassem. holding the screwdriver just so, and torqueing things down, is just too much work in my book. mashed and bloddy fingers aren't part of the program.

k
tat2dphreak
jab the screwdriver through the hole in the case... no work at all...

no local bug place anymore sad.gif
KevinP
Steve,

I always make it a habit to index everything. if your going to reuse the pressure plate make sure you index it to the flywheel. i don't know the reason on your teardown but you can never go wrong on indexing anything. May even save you from a rebalance of the crank depending on the reason the flywheel is coming off.

Hope this helps, I think most will agree with me. flag.gif

KP
ventilator01
Thx everyone, I have it off, I had to use about a four foot piece of pipe slid up onto my ratchet, then holding a screwdriver into one of the larger holes in flywheel, was not easy.. but didnt break anything.
Kevinp, pm sent to you

thx
steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.