Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine number help?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Holidaydogger
Hi,

I just bought a 71 914 and I just got the engine out and I noticed that the engine number is w00505. Does this mean it is not a Porsche engine and is a Volkswagen engine

I also bought a 75 914 and it's engine number is ec043140 is this also a Volkswagen engine?

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Baden
ventilator01
I'm no pro, but I thought all the 914's came with vw engines, mine has vw all over it, even inside the valve covers, I think they had special pistons/heads for the porsche, but Im pretty sure the case is VW on all of the 914's
Steve
davep
Both are normal engine # for a 914.
The are also VW engine numbers, and the 914 used engines from the same series. Only the 914 2.0 engine got (what amounted to) a Porsche only engine #.
JeffBowlsby
laugh.gif
Borderline
Thanks Jeff! Great info...That means my '72 that I was told had a 1.7 really has a '74 1.8..nice to know
Thanks, Bill cool.gif
D1A3
Anyone know what the differnce is between a "GB' and a "GC" engine? I have a '76, with a "GC" engine and I thought they only had one 2.0 engine in '76.
JeffBowlsby
GB is euro market only. 8.0 compression. Thats the only engine difference.
914Sixer
See the chart above for GB or GC answer. GC was the less hp Calif engine. It had the smog pump the rest of the USA did not have.
Bleyseng
GB is the "Euro" 2.0L with the 8to1 compression due to the flat top pistons only availible in Europe.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (914Sixer @ Feb 20 2006, 07:18 AM)
GC was the less hp Calif engine.

GC was the US-spec 2.0 engine for 75-76. The exhaust, primarily, was responsible for reducing the power output of these engines versus the 73-74 2.0 engines.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.