Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VDO Gas Guage Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric_Shea
I'm looking at 2 1/16" VDO's (given up on the 904 thingy)

VDO 301-015 - Requires the 'universal sender'
VDO 301-020 works with the bug OEM sender.

Anybody have knowledge as to if I can use 020 with a teener sender?

Thanks in advance,

E.
Eric_Shea
icon_bump.gif

Anyone?

confused24.gif
type47fan
hijacked.gif Works with stock sender. . . .approximately $180.00, though.
Eric_Shea
Not sure what you're trying to say... are you wanting to sell your center console? I'm not looking for a center console...

I'm looking to mount a gauge where some of the factory GT cars had them and I'd like to have it tie in to my original sender.

If someone can get the number off said gauge in the center console it would help wink.gif

(photo off Armando's site... thanks Armando for hosting such a great service)
Aaron Cox
do a search for fuel tank sender resistance...

i want to say it DOES work
Eric_Shea
Thanks... I had no idea it was discussed at that length. Thanks to James and Trekkor for helping and paving the way.

Looks like the 020 is the one.

Search String...

CIP1 has them for $23.95 in the catalog and $29.95 online... Hmmmmmmmm blink.gif
sixnotfour
The GT gauge is bigger , same dia. as the center console gauges.
Eric_Shea
The hole in my dash doesn't exist and I don't want to get that anal. 2 1/16th should be fine for my 74 clone.

Thanks though... interesting info. Are they a metric size?
Eric_Shea
JP... if you still have one and it's a silver button, I could go for that. Otherwise... the new ones should work.

E.
type47fan
QUOTE (sixnotfour @ Feb 19 2006, 08:30 PM)
The GT gauge is bigger , same dia. as the center console gauges.

Gauge case size diameter: 60mm.
John
I had one about that size in the track car dash until I removed the speedometer and replaced it with a stock fuel gauge.

I recall only having to add a single resistor to the sending unit to get the aftermarked VDO gauge to read fairly accurately with the stock sender. The universal sender never worked that well.
goose2
I used an 020 with a stock sender...seems to work OK
914Timo
Didn´t saw this before and now after Goose2´s message I am a little confused. Stock 914 sender is tube type and you can not use gauge designed for Bug style sender with that.

Accordind VDO´s manual, the Bug sender (pendulum type) gives 0 - 180 ohms and 0 ohms when empty. The stock 914 tube type sender gives 0 - 80 ohms and 0 ohms when full. When empty, the tube type should give something between 60 and 90 ohms. I have measured my sender gives about 80 ohms.

Hope these helps you, Eric.
goose2
clarification on my earlier post: I bought my gauge off eBay...seller listed it as a "Bug" gauge and stated it also works with 914 sender. I hooked it up, it works....that's all I know. I do remember the bug senders changed somewhere along the way. I hope I haven't mislead you Eric.
lapuwali
QUOTE (914Timo @ Feb 20 2006, 11:40 PM)
Didn´t saw this before and now after Goose2´s message I am a little confused. Stock 914 sender is tube type and you can not use gauge designed for Bug style sender with that.

Accordind VDO´s manual, the Bug sender (pendulum type) gives 0 - 180 ohms and 0 ohms when empty. The stock 914 tube type sender gives 0 - 80 ohms and 0 ohms when full. When empty, the tube type should give something between 60 and 90 ohms. I have measured my sender gives about 80 ohms.

Hope these helps you, Eric.

The VDO gauge listed on egauges.com shows an ohm range for the Bug sender that matches the 914 sender. Trekkor has installed that gauge in his car and it works.
Eric_Shea
Thanks all... I think I'll embark upon an 020 and report back. If I need to do some soldering I'll give James a call biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.