Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cold start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
when i turn the key for the starter, the starter *WONT* stop starting (even if i turn the key off and pull all of the relays on the relay board) until after a short while (when definately not needed) or when I pull the yellow wire.

I havent looked into wiring diagrams, and I think its either the dual relay or the relay board....

what gives?

I think i'll try a diode on it and see if it stops....

b
messix
the bendix is sticking. it throws the starter gear out and makes the motor run.
bd1308
guess I should start saving huh? I know sometimes the bendix doesnt go out far enough and makes a "not a good sound" sound.

b
messix
take it apart and see if it just needs a clean up, could be oily gunk crude. there not that complicated.
Katmanken
Yup,

Solenoid goes out to engage the starter and a spring is supposta push it back.

Grease gets thick when cold and if the solenoid is held by the cold stiff grease, the solenoid spring can't return it.

Pull the starter, clean that puppy with brake cleaner. Add a little grease for lube.

Ken
bondo
If the it stops when you pull the yellow wire, it's not the solenoid or bendix. Probably the ignition switch.
bd1308
yellow wire, being the yellow wire connected to pin II on the relay board...

this *ISNT* switch related, i replaced the switch under a month ago.

b
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 20 2006, 08:39 AM)
yellow wire, being the yellow wire connected to pin II on the relay board...

this *ISNT* switch related, i replaced the switch under a month ago.

b

Since that wire isn't directly related to the starter, you better look for what's feeding back into the "51" circuit. Fix it right, NO DIODE! Wiring diagrams are available on the Bird. The Cap'n
bd1308
i'll clean that starter out today then..starter is the only thing giving me trouble, and its just fine after the car warms up.

b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.