Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: early bird gets worm
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rotary'14
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...sspagenameZWDVW

My buddy Ted is such a pessimist that he almost let this one slip by. He was convinced that this little beauty would go for $7k+, which is at the outside edge of his budget. I convinced him to go and actually look at it.
We were the first people to check the car out. The car has been for sale one day already. My friend was the first person to see it in person. It could have been any local so cal-er. He is just the lucky one

The seller was super nice, he was the 3rd owner. The original owner died and willed it to the 2nd owners, who were brother and sister. The brother killed the motor and the car sat beneath a car cover with a 2ft pile of leaves on it until the 4th owner came and talked the owner into selling it.

The 4th owner had the car gone through buy a neighbor who owns a shop called Unique Imports, and the engine built by a place called VW+ service, apparently they do know what they are doing. The original 1.7 was rebuilt to a small 2.0, and the stock 1.7 injection is working great. The 4th owner only put 2k on the engine in 4 years.

The driver side HH looks like if you wipe the dirt off the paint,, it would shine! I'm not sure about the passenger side, but the rest of the car should be a good indicator. There are numerous paint imperfections, and the trunk lid is slightly faded, but as you can see from the pics, it's still pretty darn clean.
The car has all it's records including the owners manual, service log, and footrest! Man this car has a pedigree. Everything on the car friggin works,, electrically it's 100%! There is no damage on the top seals or targa pad. This car is cherry! The targa top is a B+ with perfect seals too!

As he left for the test ride, I commented that he might want to find a local bank in case he wanted to make a deposit on the car as a joke.
When he returned from the ride, the price negotiation began,,
We asked the owner what magic $$ amount he had in mind and were floored when the owner replied $4500! He wasn't looking to milk this car for it's maximum worth. He wanted it to go to an owner who would care for and enjoy it. He said he liked how my buddy admired the car and knew he would made a good next owner. This baby was way within budget. Ted didn't seriously consider possibly owning this beauty until the owner said the price.

Ted scored the car for $4500 on Saturday afternoon, we went to Joe Sharp's BBQ and took off for the PPI/purchase at 2:00 pm. We didn't pick the car up until Sunday nite. By the time we picked the car up,, the guy's phone was still ringing off the hook and the emails were still pouring in. I didn't check, but I bet the ebay price was higher than what Ted was paying the guy.

-Rob
Rotary'14
top seal
Rotary'14
arriving at it's new home,,

I'm sure Ted will hop on later and post pics of his goodies and "extra parts" and original foot rest that were included.
anthony
Looks like someone bid $5K.

Three years ago when I bought my 914 a low mileage nice original condition 1.7L car was a slow seller at $5K. How times have changed!

SLITS
Boy did you piss off Howie......... poke.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Rotary'14 @ Feb 20 2006, 11:57 AM)
early bird gets worm

and the early worm gets eaten ...

rolleyes.gif Andy
Cap'n Krusty
"The original 1.7 was rebuilt to a small 2.0". What, pray tell, is a "small" 2 litre? Generally, 2 litres is 2 litres, no matter how you measure it. It either "is", or it "isn'nt" 2 litres. The Cap'n
Allan
Killer deal.

Tell him to have a bbq now.
Rotary'14
Howard and I talked about this car before I went to check it out. We both thought it was going to go for lots of $$. Anybody local down here or in SD could have jumped on this car,, OK,, hate Ted because he's lucky biggrin.gif I hate him with my envious green eyes too.

small 2.0,,, when we got back, we talked to a few folks, and I think it was Gint that mentioned a common rebuild from the 1.7 is to put a P/C combo that came out to 1911cc. I have heard some peeps refer to this as a 2.0 even though it's a 1.9.

-rob
grantsfo
When I was trying to sell my pristine 1.8 I couldnt get an offer over $4500. $4500 seems to be the magic number for decent non-two-liter cars.
Porcharu
I think I got an "extra super - killer deal" on mine $4K with 16" 5 lug Fuchs and 911 front end. smilie_pokal.gif I was the early bird also - and I had a nice stack o' cash to close the deal. boldblue.gif
olav
QUOTE (Porcharu @ Feb 20 2006, 04:03 PM)
I think I got an "extra super - killer deal" on mine $4K with 16" 5 lug Fuchs and 911 front end. smilie_pokal.gif I was the early worm also - and I had a nice stack o' cash to close the deal. boldblue.gif

Early bird or worm? confused24.gif
Porcharu
QUOTE (olav @ Feb 20 2006, 05:51 PM)
QUOTE (Porcharu @ Feb 20 2006, 04:03 PM)
I think I got an "extra super - killer deal" on mine $4K with 16" 5 lug Fuchs and 911 front end. smilie_pokal.gif I was the early worm also - and I had a nice stack o' cash to close the deal. boldblue.gif

Early bird or worm? confused24.gif

"bird" Oops.
Rotary'14
- and I had a nice stack o' cash to close the deal.

My buddy was totally unprepared to buy this car, he didn't bring spending cash, he didn't have room in the garage, explaining it to wifey,,, The list went on. bs.gif
Good thing he brought along the secret "spearmint rhino" fund for a deposit. biggrin.gif And amazing what an afternoon of cleaning can do for the parking situation in one's "full" garage. spank.gif

-Rob
Porcharu
QUOTE (Rotary'14 @ Feb 20 2006, 10:48 PM)
- and I had a nice stack o' cash to close the deal.

My buddy was totally unprepared to buy this car, he didn't bring spending cash, he didn't have room in the garage, explaining it to wifey,,, The list went on. bs.gif
Good thing he brought along the secret "spearmint rhino" fund for a deposit. biggrin.gif And amazing what an afternoon of cleaning can do for the parking situation in one's "full" garage. spank.gif

-Rob

My story is almost exactly the same. I bought the car and told my wife a few days later alfred.gif , then spent the whole weekend cleaning out the rathole (garage) to make enough room for the car.
914-8
Original paint!!

That is a total score.

My first 914 when I was 16 years old back in 1982 looked just like that car. A '71, in Willow Green.

I have absolutely no room or need for another 914 or another car, but I would have bought that car for $4500 in a heartbeat! At AA, that's a $20,000 car!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.