Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Horn and fog lights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toon1
tryinng to fix the horn and the fog lights.

The lights work, I am not getting power to the light. There are three wires on the switch, I suspect that is the culprit but I'm not sure how to check it for power.

Both horns work, again, no power. I put an ohm meter to the button on the steering wheel and it shows a connection. There is 1 white wire coming through the colum. Is this correct?

What else might I be missing?
alpha434
QUOTE (toon1 @ Feb 20 2006, 06:29 PM)
tryinng to fix the horn and the fog lights.

The lights work, I am not getting power to the light. There are three wires on the switch, I suspect that is the culprit but I'm not sure how to check it for power.

Both horns work, again, no power. I put an ohm meter to the button on the steering wheel and it shows a connection. There is 1 white wire coming through the colum. Is this correct?

What else might I be missing?

On a 914 headlamp, there is one ground and two positives. Or vice versa. One positve runs the running light, the other runs the headlight. Check the connection under the dash too. At the switches.
Trekkor
With the fogs, I'm not sure if you know this, the headlights have to be "on" for them to work. At least in the running light position.

KT
toon1
How do I check for power at the switch?There are three wires, what wire is the power?
toon1
QUOTE (trekkor @ Feb 20 2006, 06:37 PM)
With the fogs, I'm not sure if you know this, the headlights have to be "on" for them to work. At least in the running light position.

KT

Had no Idea. I will check them now.
toon1
yep the lights worked, they came on and I instantly blew a fuse, but they worked! Thanks

Now for the horn........
Trekkor
Show a picture of your car.

KT
alpha434
The horn button has to go together with the one white wire attached to the button. When you "screw" them together, be careful not to get that white wire stuck in the wronk position or it will prevent the horn button from depressing properly.
toon1
QUOTE (trekkor @ Feb 20 2006, 06:46 PM)
Show a picture of your car.

KT

no digi. cam, it's a early run 73, oly blue, faded bad, interior stripped, real heavy Recaro seats. Other than the pass front fender, the body is straight with very little rust and a stock uncracked dash top. It has the same wheels your car had in one of you video's, alum. not sure what make they are. A 1.7 is going in right now to drive it and shake it down. WHen I do a complete restore I will put a 2.0. The car came with 2.0 heads, crank, rods and FI.

I will try to get pics. soon, AFTER I get it running, right now its on jack stands, those types of pics are all too common
toon1
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Feb 20 2006, 06:48 PM)
The horn button has to go together with the one white wire attached to the button. When you "screw" them together, be careful not to get that white wire stuck in the wronk position or it will prevent the horn button from depressing properly.

there are two connections behind the horn button, not sure which one is the right connection. Should I be seeing 12 volts at the white wire? Is there a horn relay?
Trekkor
same wheels your car had

Western's? I like those.

KT
alpha434
QUOTE (toon1 @ Feb 20 2006, 07:16 PM)
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Feb 20 2006, 06:48 PM)

there are two connections behind the horn button, not sure which one is the right connection. Should I be seeing 12 volts at the white wire? Is there a horn relay?

Jesus! I don't think I have two connections. Mine connects at the bottom of the horn button. Try connecting yours there.
toon1
QUOTE (trekkor @ Feb 20 2006, 07:33 PM)
same wheels your car had

Western's? I like those.

KT

them's the one's, I never see those wheels with center caps mine are missing to, where can I get a set?
Trekkor
I don't know who has any center caps for the Western's.
Maybe a wheel shop has a generic option.

205/50's will fit on those rims. the Hoosier's I showed you were on a set.

KT
toon1
QUOTE (trekkor @ Feb 20 2006, 08:30 PM)
I don't know who has any center caps for the Western's.
Maybe a wheel shop has a generic option.

205/50's will fit on those rims. the Hoosier's I showed you were on a set.

KT

I have 195/50's on them right now, will the 205/50's fit in the stock wheel well?
Trekkor
Do a search on "fender rolling".

It takes a little bit of work to get 'em under there.

KT
Tobra
There is a horn relay.

I have same two things not working, but I know I have a broken fog light switch(Got a used one with car, along with a bunch of other stuff) If the horn is touching the body, it will sort of sound muffled or be silent. The horn may be all full of junk too, I think that is what is wrong with mine. Mine has a brown wire at the little ring in there, can hear the relay clicking under the dash when I touch the wire to it, have not put plug on that I got from Radio Shack.

I personally think 195 is as wide as I would go with a 5.5 inch wheel. 195-50-15 will beat you up pretty good, I got 195-60's which are pretty good, ride and handling wise.
toon1
QUOTE (Tobra @ Feb 21 2006, 07:46 AM)
There is a horn relay.

I have same two things not working, but I know I have a broken fog light switch(Got a used one with car, along with a bunch of other stuff) If the horn is touching the body, it will sort of sound muffled or be silent. The horn may be all full of junk too, I think that is what is wrong with mine. Mine has a brown wire at the little ring in there, can hear the relay clicking under the dash when I touch the wire to it, have not put plug on that I got from Radio Shack.

I personally think 195 is as wide as I would go with a 5.5 inch wheel. 195-50-15 will beat you up pretty good, I got 195-60's which are pretty good, ride and handling wise.

where is the horn relay located?

I tested the units, they are fine, and loud.

Should I see 12v on the wire in the steering colum?

thanks for the tire info, the tires I have still have some goo tread when they wear out I will try the 60's, thanks

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.