Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best way to ship an engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MoveQik
Well I found and bought a 3.2 for my conversion. smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif Of course the damned thing is located in Washington DC.... headbang.gif Now I need a cost effective way to get it to Joe in New Mexico. Any ideas?
Wild 6
Hi Mike,
I used www.freightquote.com to get my gearbox from the Bay Area. It cost $96 to have it shipped to a dock here in Phoenix. The docks all have fork lifts so it's easy to get it in a truck.

You can call them. They are great over the phone.

P.S. It costs more to have it picked up at a residence.
Aaron Cox
paletize it and do a freight shipping like mentioned above....

dock to dock is way cheaper than house to house....

ive had good luck with roadway shipping.... (shipped a roll cage for my friends ranger)
rhodyguy
it will go smoother and faster if you just call freightquote, but you have to look in the Sandbox for all the information. perhaps the bored admin who saw fit to edit the title i put in the classifieds (i am selling stuff), can drag the "end to shipping woes" thread out of the sandbox, and put it in "Resources, Parts, and Products". the Sandbox is for non car related chit-chat. i kind of figure shipping engines, transmissions, and what not, is car related. while you're doing that, change the fyi thread in the classifieds back to its original form.

kevin
goose2
freightquote.com....call Casey at 1-800-323-5441 ext.1232
Series9
Dock to dock is fine. I can use the box van to pick it up.
dlo914
after some researching i found that www.roadway.com (Roadway Express) costs less than freightquote when shipped station to station. i managed to have a engine shipped from WA to CA earlier this year for around $150.
mack914
Check-out ForwardAir.com. My 2.2 was shipped from Seattle and I sent my 1.7 to Dallas with them. Best prices compared to truck shipping and no problems.
MoveQik
Thanks guys.
jdogg
I'm with Mack....Forward Air is the stuff!
WaideS
Dude, just piece it apart and ship each part individually US mail, that way you can have Joe clean every part when he unwraps it...... screwy.gif

Congrats on the engine purchase biggrin.gif

Joe, I would like to schedule a build-up as soon as MW's is finished. I would like to beef up my 3.2 a little though, so I can still beat MW. I need to make up the weight difference dry.gif

rhodyguy
shop around. i think randy and i both got our engines shipped for less than $150. iirc, mine was $85 one time and $117 the second, dock to dock. something to note. for cheapo you only will get an insured rate based on pennies per pound, not the actual market value, so that is a upgrade. so your $5000 engine (just an example) weighs 600lbs, multiply the by $.05 or .06 and that's what your going to get if something goes wrong. call casey at fq. f.q is not an actual trucking co. they broker space on trucks. where the terminal your item is delivered to is pretty important. casey was great to work with. f.a.f and roadway were both substancially more money when i was getting my qoutes.

k
MoveQik
QUOTE (WaideS @ Feb 21 2006, 07:03 AM)
Dude, just piece it apart and ship each part individually US mail, that way you can have Joe clean every part when he unwraps it...... screwy.gif

While it is apart, I can sandblast everything. Perfect. huh.gif
URY914
QUOTE (WaideS @ Feb 21 2006, 07:03 AM)

Congrats on the engine purchase biggrin.gif

Joe, I would like to schedule a build-up as soon as MW's is finished. I would like to beef up my 3.2 a little though, so I can still beat MW. I need to make up the weight difference dry.gif

Take it to work and put each part in your out going mail pile wink.gif

Paul cool_shades.gif
rhodyguy
another shipping source. i sent a trans to florida yest via greyhound. drained the lube, triple wrapped it in 6 mil plastic, and sealed it with duct tape. tacoma wa to orlando fl for $68.25. i doubt any of the other carriers could have matched the price.

k
MoveQik
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Feb 21 2006, 07:44 AM)
another shipping source. i sent a trans to florida yest via greyhound. drained the lube, triple wrapped it in 6 mil plastic, and sealed it with duct tape. tacoma wa to orlando fl for $68.25. i doubt any of the other carriers could have matched the price.

k

I can see where this is going...."yeah, I just threw it is a guys truck that said he was heading the right direction. I gave him a few bucks for gas and the engine was outta here!" laugh.gif
grantsfo
These guys are cheap

http://www.centraltransportint.com/default.aspx
dinomium
Up here I use Creatersandfrieghters for Servers. They come box it up and ship it dock to dock for a pretty fair price.

Or you could just use the Import Motor Co method: Goto Home Depot, steal a pallet, Saranwrap the engine and send it Yellow Frieght!

I guess I am still alittle annoyed with those guys! dry.gif
nbscooters
Im not sure how cheap this freight is, but there is a VW transmission across from my work and they always use Motor Cargo.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.