Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 71 1.7 Not running right
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
9magazine
Okay while our 1975 914 is being sanding down to the metal, and we are hoping for Jake to build us a killer motor for the car... We have to start looking at what to do with our 1971 1.7 car.

It has been sitting for about 2 years (divorce can be a B!tch). And I remembered why I kinda stopped messing with it.

She (the car) takes forever to get started, she (again the car) just won't turn over enough... very short movements. Original FI is still on and working as we cleaned all the injectors before. Once running she seems good, will run fine until about 3000 rpm then just seems to say "Whoa, I think I will stay here at 3000"

Would love to get this car running if for nothing more than a parts runner until we figure out what to do with it. Wouldn't mind trading it for a 912 with out a motor too!

Thanks in advance for your help guys!

Brian Minson
9 Magazine
http://www.9magazine.com

driving.gif
SLITS
Check your fuel pump....

1.) Forever to start...no fuel pressure in rails when injector is triggered

2.) Running out of steam at 3k.....fuel pressure inadequate

Ok, there's my starting point........NEXT
Joe Ricard
Yup, that's where I would start.

As for better engine??? why drag Jake in the mess?

For an around town or, go from here to eternity on the freeway making 32+ MPG the early 1.7L is a killer engine.
9magazine
No we are hoping Jake jumps on board for our 1975 project car not for this one.

Okay I will start with the fuel system. Pump is new or was installed when car was put away.

Brian Minson
9 Magazine
9magazine
Wow, just went to Pelican, Vertex, and Mid-America Motorworks websites to get a new fuel pressure regulator and none of them have them!

Just dropped a line to Zim's in Dallas, anyone have a source for these?

Brian Minson
9 Magazine
Dave-O
The fuel pressure on the stock D-jet fuel system is adjustable and I've never heard of them going bad. Go ahead and do yourself a favor by adding a fuel pressure guage in line just ahead of the pressure regulator. I think my bill from Summit came to less than $10 for the parts and I'm sure you could go to any autoparts store and get the same stuff.

To adjust the fuel pressure regulator loosen the lock nut (13mm I believe) and turn the adjustment screw in for more pressure or out for less (somone please correct me if I got that mixed around).

A haynes manual should have the proceedure to do this.

If the regulator really is bad I'm sure someone on the board has an extra sitting around that they'll send you. I've got one that I'd send out but it's stored with all my other "junk" at my parent's.

Good luck! beer.gif
bd1308
if you cant find them anywhere, I have two in a box for you...

b
Dave-O
Just thought of something else. If you haven't replaced the fuel filter be sure to do that. They're very cheap and can make a world of difference. Just be aware that it may be 30+ years of gunk in the bottom of the fuel tank that is causing the fuel filter to get plugged.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.