Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How Do You Convert a 901 Tail to a Side
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
doit2xs
Hi, take a Tail Shift 901 and make it a Side Shift. Can anyone tell me what parts from a side shift trans. I will need and how to do it. Thanks

Ok my 914 is a 1971 and already has a side shift trans. in her. But it is so bad that a rebuild would be costly. So I got a deal on a not to long ago rebuilt Tail Shift Trans.

It look to me that the Tail shift Trans. has a cover on the side were the side shift would mount.

Or would it be better to just switch the in sides of the two transmission. So I use the old case out of my car?

Or should I just switch the tail peices taking out the shift rod to the old tail shift trans and remove the cover on the side of the tail shift trans. and install the shift rod, housing and arm the ball cup snaps on. Thanks
wbergtho
I believe the tail & side shift versions of the 901 share about 90%+ parts with the exception of the rear cone section and obviously a few internal shift rod assemblies. In my opinion, it would be more cost effective to buy a sideshifter rather than dinking around trying to piece together a sideshifter out of a tail shifter. If you happen to have all the neccessary parts just laying around...and it costs you nothing...and you have the time...and you wanted to learn how to do it...it might be worth the effort. Otherwise, you can find freshly rebuilt sideshifters all day long for cheap.
SLITS
Side shift plate & selector assembly

Shifter forks

Shifter rods

End cover (unless you plug the tailshift selector hole)

Easier to buy a side shift tranny

I am not a tranny man.................

Dr Evil
QUOTE (wbergtho @ Feb 21 2006, 08:40 AM)
Otherwise, you can find freshly rebuilt sideshifters all day long for cheap.

Cheap rebuilds? What is cheap? Who is doing them? Just curious as I rebuild and convert trannies and my prices are low, but for a 914 guy to say something is cheap means to me that it must be close to free wink.gif

You can easily convert a tail to side if you have the parts. You may find the parts for little $$ or you may get gouged. Its kind of luck of the draw. Also to consider is that you will need to change you engine mount bar and shifter linkage and assembly.

I would convert if you have a known good tranny. It may be cheaper to get the partsyou need form a whole side shifter tranny than to get them by themselves.

wbergtho
I should have qualified my "CHEAP" statement. I have seen rebuilt boxes selling for as low as $650-800. I just spent a truckload of $$$ wacko.gif on a 930 box (and I had to save moolah forever...cause I'm not rich!). I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm jealous when I see guys picking up nice 901s for way less than $1000. smash.gif smilie_pokal.gif biggrin.gif

You know what I mean?

Bill
Dr Evil
I woudl suspect a $600-800 box as the parts would cost about that much. I charge about $500 labor plus parts and they usually end up around $1000-1200.

I understand the jealous thing, though dry.gif I wich "I" could afford a rebuilt 930 wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.