Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: mirrors for my teener
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gopack
I have been thinking of mirror options lately since I am about to send the car to body guy. Has any one tried the kind of mirrors that mount to the triangular "vent" window? I just bought a 96 passat, and naturally(being kind of low on imagination) , I took a look at it's mirrors, and thought to my self, "self, those would work!" added bonus, from the same family line! I threw together a photoshopped picture , for comment and ridicule!
let 'er fly! (please no comments on poor photoshop skills! I have NONE!

the scale might be a little off, I think they would look a smidge bigger!
dlo914
not bad looking...would you then have to make the triangular sail window out of plexi or acrylic, b/c glass would be a bit difficult to drill n mount these mirrors. But overall i like the slick look wink.gif
nbscooters
NICE!!! They look almost the same as the OG ones, they just happened to be mounted on the window. Now, if they were convexed mirrors. That would be something.
seanery
if you can get them out far enough to see them, then they could be cool. But how will you attach them to the 1/4 window?
dlo914
could trace the 1/4 window onto a sheet of plexi w/ the same thickness, cut and then go from there.
Rand
It's been done quite a bit. The easiest way is indeed to replace the triangle with plexi. Pretty cheap at places like TAP plastics.

Be aware that on the passenger side, the bar interferes with mirror visibility. So you would need a mirror that mounts rearward enough/far away from the door enough. Experiment.

Some previous threads on the subject...

Side Mirrors on Wing Window, Whats worked best ?
Side Mirrors, I've seen them, where to buy??

I know there are several more threads on this. Will have to try some different searches.
gopack
I have a spare window, and I will try to cut a pair of holes in one.
I know you can cut holes in glass, but if this is tempered glass, I will have a whole bunch of glass cubes all over the floor! One technique I have seen to do this is use a slurry of abrasive, and a dam to hold it in place and using a hand drill, or drill press, grind the hole slowly through the glass using the end of the dowel and the abrasive to "cut" a hole! then mount a metal plate on the inside for support.

The other option woudl be to cut that corner of the "vent" window away and use the mirror and backing plate to finish and seal that front corner!

I would prefer to avoid plexiglass or lexan if possible as this is a street car, but then again, who would ever notice!?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.