Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: suspension/brakes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ModPR3
i was wondering if anyone had a parts list or price of the cost to swap in a front 911 suspension and brakes. also what years 911s are the best to use for parts.
brant
I think your getting slow/no replies because this one has been covered so many... so many... times.

you'll have to buy wheels too.
the suspension usually needs all the little extra's done... like shocks, ball joints, tie rods.

figure 500 for basic suspension if you get the good stuff with brakes.
then another 500 for extras, rotors, pads (maybe more even)
then alignment, wheels, tires, lug nuts.

so it can range anywhere from 500 to 2000 depending upon how you do it.

regarding year.
most people recommend going with 3.5 caliper spacing which mostly came on the later years 78-89. but again, early stuff can work fine and might save a few dollars. you probably at least want to stay away from the really early stuff that is very different (a-arms) and has non vented brakes and the early ball joints. so go 72 or later for M calipers, or 78later for A calipers.

of course there are variations out there such as S calipers etc.
but do a few searches. this is very well covered.
and there are always options to save a buck if your like most of us. For example, you could go with 4x 6inch cookie cutters for like 200/set and save about 600 off of the price of the same size fuchs.

brant
ModPR3
thank you for the reply even though there is alot of info on this subject and i should have searched more but i really thank you for taking the time to reply to my question.
ChicagoChris
I am in the middle of this same project and the estimate is right on. The expensive part of the change isn't the front it is everything else like he said above. I have like $300 in the front then another $300 in stuff and then the wheels and tires. evil bay will some times have just the strut/spindle assemblys for about $200. If you have no need or intention of changing your torsion bars that is a good way to go. They bolt right up to the existing a-arms. PM me if you need anything.
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (ModPR3 @ Feb 21 2006, 08:55 PM)
i was wondering if anyone had a parts list or price of the cost to swap in a front 911 suspension and brakes. also what years 911s are the best to use for parts.

How much money have you set for this project?

Are you aware that the entire 911 suspension is completely swappable with the 914?

I was faced with the same challenges. I found that buying the complete 911 suspension with brakes was the most economical route.

I started calling dismantlers as they have a variety of 911 runners/rollers coming in all the time. Some have been rear-ended but excellent condition front suspensions.
wink.gif

Of these suspensions, many have already received upgrades as mine did. Turbo tie-rod ends.... Replacement rotors are cheap on Ebay. And it's not brain surgery to swap 'em. clap56.gif

If money isn't an issue go out and start buying everything new you need for a 3 1/2" setup. $$$$

Hope that helps.
Roger
Eric_Shea
What are your plans for the car?

Serious question that nobody ever asks... huh.gif

I don't think 'most' are 3.5" spacing. Most of the one's I've seen have been the 3" M-Caliper setups from early 911's.

Intent - Stockish Engine, Stockish Wheels and tires (meaning no flares and 8 and 9x16" Fuchs) and a HP rating from Stock to 140 = M-Caliper 3" Struts off an early 911T.

With these struts and calipers you'll get: Vented Rotors, Your Choice of Koni, Boge or Bilstein inserts and a slighty larger piston in the caliper. If you bolt on the entire front end you'll get 18.8mm torsion bars in addition (slightly larger than your current bars)

I would recommend a through body sway bar with this setup. I would also recommend a T-Fitting in place of the Proportioning valve for your rear brakes.

Models and Model Years to Look For: 911T, 1969 - 1973
Price Range: $150 - $400 ($150 probably doesn't have calipers, $400 should be a bolt on and go system)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.