Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Geez, this whole time i thought I had 3"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr. Roger
what are the 3 1/2 " calipers called? A, B, C, Z???

911 BTW... biggrin.gif

When I order pads for these puppies what make and model should I say I have? I'm shopping for Porterfields... smilie_pokal.gif
Dr. Roger
oh yea', new brake lines are in as of tonight. =-)))))))))))
nocones
Ya know Roger,
after searching this long for a set of 3.5s, to hear you say you had them and didn't even know it is just...

really funny! w00t.gif av-943.gif chairfall.gif finger.gif

Looks like you're about good to go with your bad self. driving.gif
Dr. Roger
Michael,

Dude, I just put the word out to every Porsche place in the 'East Bay.

I went to EASY and spoke with John, who said he didn't have any but suggested I call PORBOYS in Oakland. He "heard" that a guy flipped his 914GT conversion and jacked up the rear suspension but the front was unscathed.
I called PORBOYS, went down there and not only bought the front suspension but some 911 gauges, a mint MOMO "Race", a ducktail, and the Koni adjustables with all the goodies.

Just start calling these guys on a semi-daily basis. Just when they start to know you name something will pop up.
smilie_pokal.gif

and post to craigslist.org . they're running slow for some reason recently so it might take you a few minutes to get that done. =-)))

I'll keep an eye out too.

later,
roger

Dr. Roger
Found my answer.... Courtesy of PP.

Front Brakes:

M calipers. Stock, steel calipers for 911’s through 75. Caliper mounting bolt spacing on strut is about 3 inches. Figure 1 and Figure 2 show 'M' calipers installed on a car.

S calipers. Aluminum, larger calipers used on 911S and ‘S’ option cars through 77. Mounting bolt spacing on strut is about 3.5 inches. Cannot be put on ‘M’ caliper front end. Can be used on A caliper front end.

A calipers. Stock, steel calipers used on 75-83 911. Mounting bolt spacing on strut is about 3.5 inches (same as ‘S’ caliper). Carrera calipers were used on 911’s from 84-89, and accomodate a brake pad wear sensor.
dakotaewing
Roger -
If that means that you have an extra set of 3.5" struts (or front end) and want to get rid of them, I call DIBS.... av-943.gif

Thom
Aaron Cox
3.5 allows ya to run A or S calipers and use readily available adapters for boxster etc....
dakotaewing
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 22 2006, 12:48 AM)
3.5 allows ya to run A or S calipers and use readily available adapters for boxster etc....

It also allows you to run 944T's/928s's as well...
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 21 2006, 10:48 PM)

AAron,

where should I go to get the Porterfields?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (dakotaewing @ Feb 21 2006, 10:53 PM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 22 2006, 12:48 AM)

It also allows you to run 944T's/928s's as well...

IIRC 951 are 3.75 and need mods.... but yes
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ Feb 21 2006, 10:55 PM)

AAron,

ebay or livermore performance are my fav;s
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 21 2006, 10:56 PM)
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ Feb 21 2006, 10:55 PM)

AAron,

ebay or livermore performance are my fav;s

thank you sir. cool.gif
jetboy
Wait, im confused now... I thought the stock brakes were good enough to put you through the windshield if set up properly. Who cares about 3.5 spacing for upgraded, i mean updated, umm... maybe so-so overpriced calipers that only ppl who dont know how to drive and maintain their braking on a fun run conversion? wink.gif
dakotaewing
QUOTE (jetboy @ Feb 22 2006, 06:22 AM)
Wait, im confused now... I thought the stock brakes were good enough to put you through the windshield if set up properly.  Who cares about 3.5 spacing for upgraded, i mean updated, umm... maybe so-so overpriced calipers that only ppl who dont know how to drive and maintain their braking on a fun run conversion?   wink.gif

These brakes while more than enough to stop a stock 2.0 car, and even a small 6, when properly maintained, are typically not considered enough brake for a larger 6 or 300HP V8 car. The typical thought process is that before you add the go-go, you better be able to stop. Both Roger and I have V8 cars, hence the desire for better brakes....

Thom
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (jetboy @ Feb 22 2006, 04:22 AM)
Wait, im confused now... I thought the stock brakes were good enough to put you through the windshield if set up properly. Who cares about 3.5 spacing for upgraded, i mean updated, umm... maybe so-so overpriced calipers that only ppl who dont know how to drive and maintain their braking on a fun run conversion? wink.gif

Hey now! Watch who you imply doesn't have driving skills now.... You don't know me..... LOL Might have to start calling you URY.....

But seriously now, I ran stock brakes for a couple of weeks with the V8 and I wouldn't suggest anyone do this. I was smoking the brakes with, what I call, moderate driving speeds.

I would strongly suggest everyone who upgrades power/weight upgrade the brakes.

Here's the heart of Bebe.

user posted image
nocones
Thanks Roger,

I've been combing the classifieds here, and on Pelican. Watching Craigslist, and ebay. I've spoken with easy (not porboys though) and several other salvage yards. The few sets I've come across have been priced well out of my reach. I'll just keep on looking...
I cannot complain really, I already have an early 911 suspension under the front of the car w/ M calipers. I really does work well, but as noted above I'm running about 375hp and a little more brakes couldn't hurt, especially since I have the tires to cope with the extra clamping force.

I'm looking forward to taking a look at your car first hand one of these days Roger, it's really coming along. smiley_notworthy.gif
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (nocones @ Feb 22 2006, 09:08 AM)
Thanks Roger,

I've been combing the classifieds here, and on Pelican. Watching Craigslist, and ebay. I've spoken with easy (not porboys though) and several other salvage yards. The few sets I've come across have been priced well out of my reach. I'll just keep on looking...
I cannot complain really, I already have an early 911 suspension under the front of the car w/ M calipers. I really does work well, but as noted above I'm running about 375hp and a little more brakes couldn't hurt, especially since I have the tires to cope with the extra clamping force.

I'm looking forward to taking a look at your car first hand one of these days Roger, it's really coming along. smiley_notworthy.gif

Thank you Michael,

I look forward to seeing your car too, as i've seen pics. Very nice!

How much are you willing to spend??? I call these guys regularly for other things and can check also...

So when's the next north bay gettogether????

I'd love a spin in your ride!!!!

cool.gif
nocones
I think there is still some momentum to get together in Santa Rosa either Thursday or Friday evening.
I'd like to keep it under $500 for the front struts if I can. I've located a few complete front ends but the owners wanted to sell as a package and I don't really need everything. (plus shipping would kill me)

Likewise on the ride, I'd love to see what someone elses 914/8 is like!
Andyrew
Im running A calipers.. Sticky pagrid racing pads...

Stops good... but I didnt seat them right, so it COULD stop better..
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Feb 22 2006, 11:01 AM)
Im running A calipers.. Sticky pagrid racing pads...

Stops good... but I didnt seat them right, so it COULD stop better..

bedding in pads is way important.

what did you do that didnt seat em right?
Andyrew
Well I thought I got them right.. did many numerous stops to get them to set right, but I never got them "Hot".

I was autoxing the first time and brad told me I needed to get them smoking hot, then dont touch the brakes and let it cool over night...

I was able to do that at the wcc, once they got smoking hot (after like 5 laps), they stuck really good... Never over heated.. vented rotors werked good....

Andrew
Aaron Cox
sounds like a non street pad
Andyrew
yup.... biggrin.gif last years b day present from dad..
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 22 2006, 11:10 AM)

do those porterfield R-4S's have a noticeably higher friction rate then the pagid's?

=-) confused24.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ Feb 22 2006, 11:43 AM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 22 2006, 11:10 AM)

do those porterfield R-4S's have a noticeably higher friction rate then the pagid's?

=-) confused24.gif

dunno what taht means 051103-stupid4.gif

the r3-S is a STREET / AX pad. so it has a lower temperature range than a track pad, ie it bites at lower temperatures than a track pad....

you will like them.
AA
jetboy
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ Feb 22 2006, 08:04 AM)
Hey now!  Watch who you imply doesn't have driving skills now....  You don't know me.....  LOL   Might have to start calling you URY.....

But seriously now, I ran stock brakes for a couple of weeks with the V8 and I wouldn't suggest anyone do this.  I was smoking the brakes with, what I call, moderate driving speeds.

I would strongly suggest everyone who upgrades power/weight upgrade the brakes.

Im sorry for the confusion. I wasnt speaking about your driving skills at all, it was more a referance to a comment in another thread that somebody had implied if the stock brakes arent holding up on a canyon fun run then its the drivers fault more than the brakes. Any time the brake discussion comes up, it seems as though the general comment is that the stocks are good enough to put you through the windshield. If they arent suited for a V8, then imagine adding that extra weight with a very hefty passenger. If they can be upgraded to stop better, why not? Right? aktion035.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (jetboy @ Feb 22 2006, 12:20 PM)
. If they arent suited for a V8, then imagine adding that extra weight with a very hefty passenger. If they can be upgraded to stop better, why not? Right? aktion035.gif

headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

roger said "smoking stock brakes"

how stock?

good new or performance pads? I doubt it !!!!

rebuilt calipers with good rotors?? I doubt it !!!!

properly bedded pads? I doubt it !!!!!

new fluid in m/c and all 4 calipers? possible smile.gif

Most people that think they see an improvment after "upgrading" thier brakes are going with new or newer parts and not a worn down or questionable $15 Autozone/Kragens brand brake pads on old rusted out rotors.....

With 2 drivers (in the hot summer weather) we put 300 hard miles on a 914 Bp race car (full cage, street legal car) with stock brakes at Thunderhill racetrack in one day(car did have better pads)...no problems at all....

Dr. Roger
Mike's right. I didn't know the condition of my pads etc...

I wanted to go 5 bolt, get bigger brakes, and didn't want to throw money at making my stock setup "right".

Word. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.