Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Stand & Adapter Ring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porsche914dl
Does anyone know that if the ordinary engine stand could hold a 914-4 engine?
Or, does it need the adapter ring to mount the engine?
If so, does anyone have the dimension of the adapter, size & diagram?
Thanks alot.
John
For my first engine stand, I made a tracing of half of the transmission bellhousing. and took it to my friend's father (a machinist) who made me a ring. I then bought two JC Whitney VW engine stand adapters and cut the arms off and welded all four arms to my half ring.

The thing seems pretty strong still. I went and bought a real adapter for a standard engine stand (five arms) and both work well. The bought one is slightly nicer than the one I made many years ago.
porsche914dl
HI, Johnman
THanks for your information. THat means I need to find ring adapter to mount the engine to the ordinary engine stand.
Thanks.
shaggy
i just went to harbor freight and bought a normal stand and some long bolts and it holds w/ 4
i had to flip the plate around but they line up close enough

$60 for stand
$2 for bolts

-shag
ws91420
I used a Walker engine stand with mine three out of the the four supports
Dr Evil
Usually I find the adaptors on ebay for $25. I had one I was trying to sell for some small change, but I ended up giving it away becasue anything lower than $25 would have been a give away anyway.
Richard Casto
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Feb 23 2006, 12:08 AM)
Usually I find the adaptors on ebay for $25. I had one I was trying to sell for some small change, but I ended up giving it away becasue anything lower than $25 would have been a give away anyway.

$25 !!

I can't find anything on eBay for less than $150 or so. Items on eBay look to be the same adapter you can by from PP. I am talking about the ring that simulates the Porsche tool P201.

P201...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=7516764988

Ring to mount to universal
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=7534954232
Thats for a six.
Dr Evil
yup, for a /6 try searching for type 4 VW engine mount

Like this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/vw-porsche-...614550650QQrdZ1
Dr Evil
and this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/vw-engine-s...616128169QQrdZ1

The top one mounts different than the others I have seen. This one is the one I had. You can use it with other stands as the square mount part comes off.
Cap'n Krusty
Might be OK for a T1, but I wouldn't hang MT T4 motor on that flimsy POS. The Cap'n
John
Might be OK for a T1, but I wouldn't hang MT T4 motor on that flimsy POS. The Cap'n

That is what I started out with for my first Porsche adapter.

I bought 2 of those and used all 4 arms with a custom made 180 degree ring that my friends father made for me.

914Sixer
I bought mine from Stoddard Porsche. Not cheap but you can use it for any VW, 911, 912, or 914 motor. It uses all 4 engine stand mounts. I think SIR Tools sells them also. I paid about $110 many years ago. DO NOT try to hang a type 4 motor off a cheapy VW stand. You might find it on the floor.
Dr Evil
I never used that stand, I just had one and was told it was the one to use. I got my ring adaptor from either SIR tools, or some other place I can't remember for about $110.

You do not need the whole expensive set up, jut the ring adaptor and a rolling bottom stand.
Gint
I bought sope brackets that bolt on to a standard engine stand allowing a guy to mount a VW 4 or Porsche /6. I'll have to dig up pics. Wait, there is a pic or two in my "Rusto" thread.

Really, I'm still just testing amil notifications of sbscribed threads.
rhodyguy
latest HOTVWs magazine, p.117, from PACIFIC CUSTOMS UNLTD, the roll around stand version with the correct ring. $72. the one from HF requires some fudging to get the case mounted up. iirc you can't fully spin the engine either. the HF one is monster big too, overkill.

k
Aaron Cox
pac customs untd is down the street from me. love that place
rhodyguy
do you buy anything there? spark plugs, filters, etc.

k
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 25 2006, 05:59 PM) *

do you buy anything there? spark plugs, filters, etc.

k

plugs, and weber gaskets and reading material smile.gif
rhodyguy
handy. being a vw house, you know they keep the stuff in stock.

k
Al Meredith
I have been using the J C Whitney VW engine mount for years for a TY4. It fits into a $39.00 Harbour freight rolling stand. I only use it to build the long block I remove the engine and mount it on my engine run-up stand (old transmission mounted under a metal table) to assemble tin, exhaust ETC. I do not use it for 911 engines, I use the ring for that.
rhodyguy
i'm trying to visualize the table setup. got a picture? sorry for the hj. it's all relevant i guess.

k
So.Cal.914
I've been useing a V8 stand sence 82 with out any adapt. ring or any other mods.

You can wear a rolex or a timex but they both tell time.

smoke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.