Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel lines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mcbain77
I have searched!!! However, there isn't any info on my specific issue. I have a '70 1.7L with a fuel pump that was relocated to the '72 - '74 location a long time ago. I am switching out my fuel lines and want to use both 5/16" for return and delivery lines. Since the lines from the tank to the pump are not under pressure (other than gravity) do you think I can make the delivery line switch from 3/8" to 5/16" without any supply problems to the pump?

Yes I am cheap and don't want to buy two rolls of tubing and associated fittings to take the 3/8" lines to 5/16" so I can tie into the fuel pump. Besides I can't find any 3/8" to 5/16" hose barb fittings anywhere.

Ideas?
Mueller
this is a subject YOU have to decide on.....

it's been discussed before...some say yes, others say no....it's your car, you have to live with the choice you make (or the next owner has to live it and you become a DAPO if they don't like it smile.gif )
Eddie Williams
Hey another SE Texan! Welcome to the club!
mcbain77
Thanks! I drove this 914 all through High School and then it sat in my Dad's garage for 10 years. I am going through and fixing everything that needs it and hopefully it will be on the street soon.
sk8kat1
hijacked.gif

sorry but I have to do this

<--------- native texan here!!

born in ohusto raised in college staion lived in belaire for years

and shouldn't it be you are going through and fixin' every thing?

biggrin.gif

Eddie Williams
it should be.. he's fixin' to go through and repair everythang!
mcbain77
agree.gif

i am fixin' to take on a project that is seemingly never-ending!
John
That's just how it feels now.

Just wait for about 6 months when it feels like it will never end. (STILL)
zymurgist
Get a fuel filter with a 3/8" nipple on one side and a 5/16" nipple on the other side. I found one at a local air-cooled VW shop.
Mueller
QUOTE (zymurgist @ Feb 22 2006, 03:39 PM)
Get a fuel filter with a 3/8" nipple on one side and a 5/16" nipple on the other side. I found one at a local air-cooled VW shop.

make sure you get the correct type of filter depending on what side of the fuel pump it is on.........
mcbain77
idea.gif

i'll look into the filter and see what i can find. that would really be the optimal solution and limit the number of fittings in the system. i will need a 3/8" tank side and 5/16" pump side . . .

i'll let you know what i find.
Eddie Williams
QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ Feb 22 2006, 04:23 PM)
That's just how it feels now.

Just wait for about 6 months when it feels like it will never end. (STILL)

6 months... try 6 years!!!

We interupt this marriage to bring you...

err... I guess I know who's boss!
Allan
I used 3/8 for both feed and return. Wurked gud...
mcbain77
How did you tie into the fuel pump from the 3/8" line? That is the only thing from stopping me on this deal. I have looked at all the fuel plumbing fittings etc. from Summit Racing and some other vendors but it seems like I will always have to end up at 8mm (5/16") to tie into the fuel pump.

If I am missing something then please let me know what it is . . . unsure.gif

I could spend several hundred dollars on aluminum fittings and braided steel lines and still have to go from 3/8" to 5/16" at some point. Will a 5/16" High pressure fuel line stretch over a 3/8" SS line?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.