Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear spring compressor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sk8kat1
I am in the chicago/rockford area .. and wanted to see if anyone has a rear spring compressor I can borrow or another way to do it with out them ?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (sk8kat1 @ Feb 22 2006, 04:27 PM)
I am in the chicago/rockford area .. and wanted to see if anyone has a rear spring compressor I can borrow or another way to do it with out them ?

rent or borrow it from FLAPS....

and only stock springs need a compressor.......

and it can be done without....
gary gartner
Or,Harbor Freight if you have one---about $9.99, I think
Mueller
some auto parts places have them for rent ($15 or less) or some loan tools

if you have stock springs, good idea but not 100% needed if you are very careful and have dealt with springs before....aftermarket springs hardly ever need a compressor on the 914 due to them being shorter....

IronHillRestorations
If you've got a friend, the two of you can compress the spring with the help of a spare tire, and something non skid to put the bottom of the shock on. You can take a piece of 2 x 10 and rout out a little divot for the shock to sit in, and then you loosen the top retaining nut on the shock up to the end of the threads. Then you put the tire over the top of the strut, put it in your little fixture, whilst you and your large friend compress the spring.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.