Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DOT: digital voice recorder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
davep
I'm looking for a DVR so that I can 'interview' people at various times, and get their stories. It will help me get all the info, and get it correctly, to assist my article writing. Imagine walking around at the WCC and talking to everyone. I'm considering an Olympus or an RCA model at this time. Some good ones on eBay, and here & there. Any for sale here? Any advice as to what works and what doesn't. I'd like to get something that can plug into the PC and download.

Dave
SirAndy
QUOTE (davep @ Feb 22 2006, 05:33 PM)
Any advice as to what works and what doesn't. I'd like to get something that can plug into the PC and download.

now there's a topic i know something about ...

Olympus DVR's work very well. we have hundereds of customers using them on a daily basis ...
the interface software for the PC is easy and reliable.

however, be aware that certain models don't have a PC connector.
also, the cheaper models tend to use file formats that produce larger
files (WAV for example) ...

cool.gif Andy
Carl
I have two that I use for different purposes. The Olympus DS-330 is better for dictating because the controls are more similar to a tape-type recorder. Voice quality is good and the files are small but it won't record in Windows media file format.

I use and Olympus DM-10 to record meetings, conferences, etc. because of its better sound quality and it will record in stereo. It will record in wmv format. The control setup is a bit different so, for my use, it's not as good in dictation applications.
Dr. Roger
i'd just use my sony digital cam and firewire connect. =-) so you'd get pics at the same time. yes, it's way more intrusive but the rewards can be great.
rjames
Check out Sony's digital minidisk recorder. Model R900 I believe. It got very good reviews for the most part, and would be great as a field recorder (the way I read the posting, I believe that you don't need video, right?) I know they've tried to make it as PC /MAC friendly as possible too.

You might also find a used portable DAT recorder as well.
rick 918-S
I use an Olympus to take recorded statements. I can connect it to my phone and record mean people that call me, take their statements over the phone, and up load the recorded file to our company server. It's nice and compact.
Brent
I use an Olympus as well. The only way my estranged wife and I could talk in civil manner was to have the recorder between us.

Ok .... original use was to eavesdrop. Found out a couple things which I suspected, and she hated knowing I knew things she was hiding from me. But the sneaky-ness was even too much for me to take. I stopped and told her what I did. She holds it against me almost daily. It sucks being obsessed.

The quality was great on HQ, but other qualities to extend our time quite dramatically cuts quality.

Twystd1
I just drag Aaron along...

Cause I can't remember shit.

Twystd1
thomasotten
I have used Sonys. They are fine, but they don't keep time. In other words, I once used one to add audio to a video that I was recording from afar. I then tried to sync them together, and I noticed that the DVR's audio was faster than the video's.

If all you want is simple recording, and not high quality, you may want to buy an MP3 player that has a built in recorder.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.