Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: electronic ignition
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
usa4cheer
trying to get a good idea on which ignition set up you guys run on 2.0's and 1.7's carborated
msd, or crane or pertronix which do you guys prefer and which distributor are you running 009 or vacuum advance
Mark Henry
009's suck...050 can work...if you have the coin get a Mallory unilite with no vacuum.
All you need with the mallory is the Bosch blue coil.
gary gartner
My 75 2.0L with stock F.I and distributor has never run better since the Pertronix was installed.
I love the Pertronix clap56.gif
Mark Henry
He's asking what to run with carbs
Rouser
If you're financially challenged (all your funds are copper in nature) and can't afford a full-blown Mallory system, most CSOB's run a 009 or 050, and a Pertronix module.

Others swear by Crane and other makes, but it's all about how much you wanna inve$t.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Rouser @ Feb 23 2006, 02:54 PM)
If you're financially challenged (all your funds are copper in nature) and can't afford a full-blown Mallory system, most CSOB's run a 009 or 050, and a Pertronix module.

Others swear by Crane and other makes, but it's all about how much you wanna inve$t.

agree wholeheartedly

my carbed car had a new 050 and a pertronix.
ran pretty well....

now i have a mallory, and its 'mo betta'
Flat VW
How much better?

What is better?

Blue coil?

John
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Feb 23 2006, 03:09 PM)
How much better?

What is better?

Blue coil?

John

since you asked....

Mallory dizzy-
Mallory Hyfire CDI box
Mallory Promaster E coil.....

wayyyy better
Mueller
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 23 2006, 03:10 PM)
since you asked....

Mallory dizzy-
Mallory Hyfire CDI box

wayyyy better

agree.gif

I have aftermarket FI and have the same ignition setup as Aaron

if I was to do it again, I think I'd look into going with the MSD distributor instead but still use the other Mallory parts........
lapuwali
Note that the 050 is essentially unobtainable now. You can't get them new, and NOS units on Ebay are rising in price to the point where they're often fetching as much as a new Mallory. The few used units you see for sale are often worn out.

The 009 is cheap, but basically garbage out of the box. If you can find someone with a working distributor machine that can recurve it for a reasonable price, then that may well be worth it. The people who swear by them have likely never tried anything else, and simply don't know any better. The car will run, but not all that well.

Of course, if you're insisting on running carbs on an otherwise stock engine, you're already starting with one foot in the hole, so you might as well jump in with both feet and use an off the shelf 009. The engine won't really run any worse...

If you want your engine to run WELL, then pony up the cash for a proper carb cam and the costs to install it, and buy a new Mallory.
Mark Henry
QUOTE (Mueller @ Feb 23 2006, 06:18 PM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 23 2006, 03:10 PM)
since you asked....

Mallory dizzy-
Mallory Hyfire CDI box

wayyyy better

agree.gif

I have aftermarket FI and have the same ignition setup as Aaron

if I was to do it again, I think I'd look into going with the MSD distributor instead but still use the other Mallory parts........

Well!

If you're bragging I have crankfire programable ignition, twin HO coils and I can change my curve any way I like...From my dash.

tongue.gif poke.gif wink.gif laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.