Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Lid lettering removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
So, I tried several gentle methods to remove the letters from an old lid.

I pried, I used a flat bladed knife..I used a heat guy...

All attempts had the same results...I broke the plastic post off the back of the letters....

So, any ideas on a good way to remove good letter,,,and try ti save the post?

Rich

VegasRacer
Thrash / cut / bend the clips.
Destroy them and save the post.
double-a
agree.gif those rubber fasteners are designed as "one-time" use i believe. i used pliers and smashed them up real good to get them off.

but you're at a disadvantage with those plastic letters, the posts break really easily. i opted for a set of shiny metal letters when i refurbished my engine lid.

~a
jim_hoyland
Where are metal letters available from ?
double-a
i think i got mine from the bird, maybe a year ago.

~a
914Sixer
I use a small set of diagonal pliers to cut them in two pieces . You can then bend the metal part of the washer out of the way.

All the early cars 70-73 had metal letters. I have lots of used letters if you need replacements. Most are gold anodized others are sliver depending on the year.
william harris
Rich: I got a spare set of silver letters in my parts bin. They have your name on them for free. Come by and pick them up or let me know your address and I will drop them in the mail to you - no charge. P.S. this is a good set, no broken posts. I also have a small lot of the clips, probably enough for the letters. Will send what I have. I owe you. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.