Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: weight gurus - paul?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
Any idea how much weight is saved by going to FG hood, trunk and bumpers?

Of course I forgot to weigh my hood and trunk before I put them back on the car.

Thanks,
david
URY914
A lot.

If you get the hood that doesn't have the front corners cut out for the headlights, you can cut/remove all the headlight pieces. (motors, lights, the sheetmetal box, wiring, etc etc). So you're able to save weight on the hood and on the headlight stuff. A stock front hood with hardware (hinges, latch) is 35-40 and a f/g is around 10-12.

Rear trunk stock is 30-35 with hardware. F/g is 10-12.

The f/g bumpers weight somewhere around 5-8 pounds and I'd say the early stock front one are 25-30 pounds and the rear 15-20.

This is just what I remember not actual weight. Someone here may have actuals. I'm changed both my front and rear hoods so weightng them now wouldn't give you the the true weight verses stock.

Paul
machina
that sound promising,

Adds up to about 75 - 80 pounds savings not counting headlights.

I guess we could get the car down to 1800 pounds and keep the classic look of the car.

thanks,
david
URY914
There is a little gain when going to f/g rocker panels too. And take those silly front fender lights off.

If it is not being used to go or stop, take it off.

Paul
Brad Roberts
I dont have much to add here besides: focus on getting weight off the car that is up high (like the lids/top/glass). Roger Sheridan sells a fiberglass skin of our tops that looks identical. Weighs at least 20lbs less. Replace the back glass with a good piece of lexan.

B
campbellcj
I'm actually gonna do the lexan windows (rear and doors) and "skin" targa top before f/g lids. The weight sits up high and these mods are more "cost-effective" (no prep/paint).

The f/g bumpers save a ton if you ditch the rubber tits and the foglights etc. I eliminated my foglights but kept the horns as I still drive on the street about twice a month.

I am going to go to lighter/stronger seats too. I have a single old Koenig in the car now, which weighs a TON. I could probably get 2 fg or kevlar seats that weigh less than this 1.

THEN I might do the lids and a Sheridan 6" lip spoiler...next year.
campbellcj
Oh yeah, I have the bumper weights (stock 73 vs f/g) in my garage...somewhere. I'll try to find that.
Bleyseng
What about driver weight?? lol
machina
All my glass is lexan now. I cut and fitted everything accept the windshield which is formed polycarbonate from "shields".

The windshield is 1/4" which is many times stronger than the glass but about 1/2 the weight. It is also coated to prevent scratching but we will see how that goes. I am babying it for now. They say not to worry about it, use your wipers etc. but for now I am being pretty careful.

Also it fit very well. We were even able to use the chrome trim which I wanted for the vintage class. Installed with nutplates for easy removal. Still need to add some tabs though.

regards,
david
campbellcj
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Sep 6 2003, 11:53 AM)
What about driver weight?? lol

LOL...it is definitely funny to see the 250lb guys squeeze into their 1900lb race cars.

I suppose I could stand to lose 5lbs or so myself. That would probably be worth $200 in P-car bucks!
Randal
Nice job on the rear window!

Where did you get the windshield?

Any idea on what you saved weight wise?
machina
The windshield comes from http://www.racingshields.com/

We are at 1900 pounds now with full 8pt cage, steel body and bumpers. I guess the lexan saved us around 40 pounds. Gutting the drivers' door saved alot also, maybe another 25.

david
ChrisReale
Synth-
Who/where did you get your roll cage?
machina
chris,

the racecar ranch as we call it is larry jordano's shop/home in stuart florida. He has a giant shed where he does all the fabrication. He is really a BMW racer but I convinced him to do the prep on my car. He did a great job.

He drove the car at sebring last weekend and was really taken with the handling and low weight compared to his cars. Maybe we made a convert.

I pretty much new what I wanted with the cage. Nascar bars, petty bar, rear supports from main hoop to back of car, dash bar hidden up under dash instead of down near your knees, etc.

I will post some pics of the build at www.synthesisdv.com/vg later this weekend.

regards,
david
drew365
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Sep 6 2003, 10:47 AM)
I'm actually gonna do the lexan windows (rear and doors) and "skin" targa top before f/g lids. The weight sits up high and these mods are more "cost-effective" (no prep/paint).

Chris; Are you saying you don't want your car to look like mine! laugh.gif

A paint job is being planned. If I could just find a easy to use photo editing program so I could put some of my ideas on a pic and print it I'd be real close to losing the L.A.P.D. look.
campbellcj
Andy... honestly, er, the "multicolor" look would probably cause me to lose sleep before too long. Remember I'm a "reformed concours weenie" turned race junkie (LOL).

The main issue is cost - I want to do all the fg or carbon body stuff at the same time, if feasible, and therefore deal with the prep & paint work all at once too. We're talking 2 lids, rear spoiler, and possibly fenders and doors too (if I go bonkers with the "R" concept). I still have quite a few other projects to tackle that are higher on the priority list, so I can put the f/g bodywork off.

Oh yeah...not to mention that "the boss" wants to do about 1000SF of hardwood floors on the house. icon8.gif (Think $9/SF or so, from what I know thus far.) We need to do it, to get rid of the carpet (Logan has allergies), but it will put a MAJOR dent in the ol' recreational budget.
machina
just removed front bumper (1973). Weighed 21 pounds with the rubber bumperettes attached. Now they are removed of course. Now what to do with those four big holes? (until I get the FG part) May put the vintage cibie rallye lights there for now.

dr
campbellcj
QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Sep 7 2003, 10:11 AM)
just removed front bumper (1973). Weighed 21 pounds with the rubber bumperettes attached. Now they are removed of course. Now what to do with those four big holes? (until I get the FG part) May put the vintage cibie rallye lights there for now.

dr

I did that on my previous car -- they look MUCH better w/o the rubber tits IMHO.

I used chrome carriage bolts to fill the holes. Like this:
URY914
My guess was 25-30 pounds for the front.
Of course I included the driving lites and hardware too. So I was close. smile.gif

Paul
campbellcj
My notes (which I can't find) showed 35 lbs for the front including the lights and grilles.

Whatever it is, the f/g bumper is like 5lbs so the savings is significant.
Brad Roberts
ChrisC.. you guy's dont actually think the carpet is causing his allergies do you ?? Try moving from that area. I have friends who went down this same path.. and come to find out.. it was the surroundings. They moved 6 hours away and the kid cleared up 1 day after they moved in. They replaced EVERYTHING in the house. I know I sound stupid..

Anyway.. the bumpers make a huge improvement. It really changes the polar moment of the car (less wieght on the ends)

B
campbellcj
He's mostly allergic to food. But also dust & dust mites; so you have to be careful of carpet & bedding (matresses etc). Even if you vacuum every day and steam-clean a couple times a year, an unbelievable amount of CRAP stays in the carpet. Plus...the fibers themselves can be irritating to some people.

This area does have a lot of allergens...zillions of plants. But between the choice of the concrete jungle i.e. the westside (BTDT) and here, we ain't moving.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.