Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Check out Michael Oakes new restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
Mike graciously agreed to let me post the photo of his newly restored 914. He lives in Walnut Creek CA and will be at the October 9:14 Breakfast! Welcome Mike!
Brad Roberts
That color is crazy. I like it. Is that Mikes car or Mikes wifes car ?? I think I met him at one of the Swap meets.

B
JeffBowlsby
Is that Mikes car or Mikes wifes car

Dunno. He justv bought a part from me and we hooked up. He said its just been recently completed. Isnt that the factory gold color?
Kansas 914
Sweet Interior - Power Windows too!
Bleyseng
The factory gold color is pretty rare and very beautiful! I am sure the wife picked that color. lol

Lets see more pics!

Seems like most of the restored cars around here are yellow or silver. oops Eric N's Green car.

I like to see something different.

Geoff
vortrex
that doesn't look like the factory gold color to me, seems to yellow/greenish. there's a gold 914 always parked on diamond street in SF, just before the castro. although, maybe that is not a real gold one??
redshift
The factory gold color looks just like the old Testors model paint gold, same flake, and tone.

The gold color on 911s (remember those? more of them for sure) is a lighter color.

It's close, if you look in the jamb, to the later 911 gold.

M
biosurfer1
besides the power windows, is that the stock interior, or are there after market items present?
Air_Cooled_Nut
Cool, my aunt & uncle live there! They're in the Calif. Cadillac Owner's Club, though.

I'm not groovin' on that steering wheel (924?) but the rest looks nice. Any full-body shots?
Katmanken
Mebbe it's that exclusively rare color - Saturn Yellow Metallic- L99A.

Since I 've got two faded saturn yellow cars (L13M) , I often wondered what it would look like.

More Pics? smile.gif
MarkV
The factory gold was a 71-72 only color & looks like this:
Rusty
I can't imagine how much work was put into the interior of that car. Stitched dash, custom door pockets, custom stitching on the seats, tasteful burlwood accents.

Very, very classy. smilie_pokal.gif
seanery
barf.gif WOOD TRIM IN A 914 barf.gif
Aaron Cox
wood looks good on something like a TR-6. wood on a german car: icon8.gif barf.gif
GWN7
The wood looks good.

If I remember, the 916 that was forsale a bit ago had it also.
914Timo
Very nice !!! smilie_pokal.gif

More pics, please clap56.gif
Mockmaw
I think the wood looks excellent. To each their own I suppose.
JeffBowlsby
Drool time...

Mike just emailed me a note and two photos...I will post them as soon as I can.

He also needs a smog doctor recommendation in the East Bay....anyone???

"Hi Jeff,
I enclosed 2 pics of the exterior incase you want to post them. The paint is Inca Gold used on the Plymouth Prowler, my wife did have the final words on the color. The wood is accually aluminum and plastic ran through a dipping process to look like high gloss burl. The arm rest are made from fiberglass to allow for the power windows.
The sliding door pulls came from an aicraft, all the interior and exterior chrome has been powder coated satin black.
I am looking for the local 914 pro to help me get this thing past smog so I can drive it. Unfortunatly I finished the cars cosmetics and cant get the smog. It runs great but the co's are too high.
cheers

Mike Oakes"
JeffBowlsby
'klsfdnv
JeffBowlsby
jopij
JeffBowlsby
A tribute to Rich Johnson if you ask me...'Gold Yeller'...

Fine work Mike, can't wait to see it up close.
Eric Taylor
What engine does he have on there? Oh by the way, drooollll smile.gif
JeffBowlsby
I think its a 2.0L...maybe Mike will speak up?
tod914
wow beautiful car!
Pnambic
Wow, thats really a gorgeous car.
Nicely done!
Curvie Roadlover
"Schwinggggg!!!" pray.gif
anthony
Wow, that paint job makes those late bumpers look great. Is that car local and coming to a breakfast soon?
JeffBowlsby
Mike is in Walnut Creek...He said he would be at the October breakfast.

Anthony, do you know of a good mechanic up there where he can get it smogged? Its running rich apparently...
anthony
No, sorry. I've actually asked before just so I had a name in my pocket in case anything I couldn't tackle came up but nobody seemed to know anyone in the east bay.
fly
Hello all.
Thank you all again for the kind words, not being able to drive and show the car, it is nice to get the approval of other 914 owners.
I have had 2 failed attempts at getting this to post so I hope this one works. This is a 1975 1.8, I have had it for 6+ years, My wife was tierd of stepping over it and wanted me to give it away. It has always ran good but looked a mess. I took the car apart and gave the body to a local painter. 2 years later I got it back with a nice paint job. This was my motivation to try and make the rest of the car equal the paint. I admit, I did have an advantage with the interior since I am in the business.
This was a fun project and many late nights in my garage. I still have several items left on my list but for now I am anxious to get through this crazy smog so I can join you all at the next breakfast.
I am working with a computer friend to set up a site showing all the pics from start to finish.

Cheers
mike oakes
fly
GWN7
Welcome Mike,

Nice car. smilie_pokal.gif

When you can, post details (and pictures) of your dash treatment. It sound interesting.
seanery
Mike,

I like your car, very nice!
I'm glad you did what YOU wanted to it.
Oh, and the wood's not to my taste-but you can tell me to F off and I won't be offended.
You're all more than welcome to tell me what you don't like about my car-including the driver! laugh.gif
vortrex
suggestion on smog, not sure if it will help or not...

city automotive in SF on eddy st downtown. old german guy named roelph running a one man shop, not even an office girl (answers phone while working on cars). he is only vw/porsche, and mostly air cooled. he's been at the same place over 35 years and always seemed happy to see my 914. very nice guy who fixed my car twice for free. I'm not sure if he has his own smog equipment, but I'm guessing if not he will know someone to shop it out to.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.