Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuilding 914 Brake Calipers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Alfred
Pelican Parts lists all but one of the new or rebuilt 914 calipers as NLA and they say "Please note: Porsche does not recommend splitting the calipers for rebuilding. Due to this, the caliper halves seals are not include in the factory rebuild kits" so does anyone know of repair kits that contain ALL of the parts required to properly rebuild the calipers? I see that Performance Products sells new and rebuilt 914 calipers so, presumably, all the parts for a proper rebuild are available somewhere.

Thanks,
Alfred
joea9146
I got my rebuild kit with all the seals from Perry Keihl (914 Network) 731-847-9146
seanery
I know where the rebuilt calipers for a couple of those outfits came/come from.

You'd be surprised what your local Porsche mechanic does if/when he's not too busy!
Alfred
QUOTE(joea9146 @ Feb 19 2003, 03:05 AM)
I got my rebuild kit with all the seals from Perry Keihl (914 Network)  731-847-9146

joea9146, thanks for the info.

Alfred
airsix
QUOTE(Alfred @ Feb 19 2003, 01:25 AM)
Pelican Parts lists all but one of the new or rebuilt 914 calipers as NLA and they say "Please note: Porsche does not recommend splitting the calipers for rebuilding. Due to this, the caliper halves seals are not include in the factory rebuild kits"

I don't understand that. A 30yr old caliper is going to have pitting in the bore. I guarantee. If you just replace the piston seal and don't split the caliper and hone the bore you haven't rebuilt it. I don't know what the big deal is about splitting calipers. I've done two sets of 914 calipers, a set of 911 "A" calipers, and dozens of calipers from other makes (when I was working at a shop). None of them leaked or had any other problems. By the way, when I did the 914 calipers I got the caliper-half seals (two per caliper) from Tom at Pelican.
Dave_Darling
Yeah, that section of the catalog is outdated... Hopefully it will be fixed in the next upgrade, whenever that will be. We do indeed carry the full rear brake rebuild kit now! (I assume you are talking about the rear calipers, right?)

Porsche's official position is and has always been that the rear calipers are not rebuildable. They have never offered a rear caliper rebuild kit that I know of. They want(ed) you to buy brand-new calipers instead.

Someone did some homework and found another car that uses the same seals and other bits as the 914 rear calipers--except for the caliper half seals and the adjuster O-rings. Those kits were sold for a number of years as 914 rear caliper rebuild kits. Then a few more bright people figured out how to get ahold of the caliper half seals and the adjuster O-rings, or at least get ahold of parts that could be substituted for those. We now get those bits from one of those smart people...

And Porsche still tells us that the rear caliper is not rebuildable, and that we should buy new ones. That are no longer available.

--DD
seanery
I have a nice set off my 2.0 that I almost sold last year. I'm glad I didn't since I've got another teener now. If I go to boxster brakes I'll sell both sets, '74 an '72.
Brad Roberts
I had the scare of my life today while doing the brakes on Muellers 6. One of the inside pistons on the rear calipers would not adjust out. My ass puckered. All the other calipers worked just fine. I pulled it apart and found the piston to be seperated from the adjuster. The piston had "stuck" in the bore and pulled the auto-adjuster out when I tried to adjust it. The auto adjuster is threaded down the center for the mechanical adjustment. We cleaned everything up and "snapped" the auto-adjuster back into the piston, set it into the bore, and then threaded the adjuster into it causing the piston to retract back into the bore.... Finding 6 calipers is like finding hens teeth. Unobtanium.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.