Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sporto oil pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
michel richard
How much do they sell for ? If nobody has one, a picture might help recognize one if I bump into it at Hershey.
mg911guy
Michel, Do you mean the pump that was attached to the 6/Camshaft? I have one of those. I will take some pic's.

IIRC they used the same one on early Turbos for oiling.

Mark..
mg911guy
Pics
mg911guy
Is this what you need?
thesey914
Mark do you have a picture of the bolock-off plate you used when you removed pump?
michel richard
Yes, that is what I'm looking for. Is yours for sale ?
thesey914
Michel, are you after the sporto pump for twin plug purposes? I have one if no others are forthcoming
michel richard
I'm after the pump for transmission cooling purposes. I'll be putting 250 hp through a 901 transmission, which is pretty much the limit. I understand that when the factory put a cooler on those transmissions they used that sporto pump to circulate the oil.
I won't be doing a lot of track, though, so the cooling may not be really necessary. On the street, max horpower is used only for very short periods of time, and I would think that torque is then the limiting factor.
Still, there's the cool factor that I like. (pun sort of intended).
James: Brian spoke up first, so I'll see if his is for sale, but thanks for the offer.
Cheers.
Michel
mg911guy
Michel, You can have it. It was in a box of parts from the PO of my 911.

PM me...

Mark...
michel richard
Mark,

p.m. already sent. Thanks
Bleyseng
score!!! smilie_pokal.gif
mg911guy
Michel, PM Sent Mark...
michel richard
Mark delivered as promised, at a very, very reasonnable price i.e. FOC.
This board rocks.
I'll be posting more in the future about the use of a sporto pump to circulate oil around a 901 transmission and a cooler.
Michel Richard
iamchappy
I fabbed up a similar pump ( turbo scavenge ) on the back of my cam. Just drill and tap two holes opposite each other on the end of the cam and loctite in a pair of allen head cap screws.
michel richard
It did take me a couple of minutes to figure out how the pump is driven. The holes already are in the camshaft. I believe the factory way is simply to press some pins into the shaft. I'll see.
I think I have the MFI drive sprocket housing that was designed to mount the sporto oil pump like in the picture. I could never figure out what that part was. Now I just need to find it ! I may want to keep the option of going back to MFI as a future project.

michel richard
and so:

Thanks to Eric of Ashburn, Virginia on the Pelican board for posting the pictures there.
iamchappy
I believe the holes in the camshaft are there to relieve pressure. Those were the holes I used I tapped them and drilled another hole to relieve pressure. If I did it over again I would leave those holes already there alone, and drill and tap two shallow holes in the cam end.
iamchappy
turbo pump
iamchappy
My cooler with Tilton electric pump
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.