Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seat Upolstery
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
I have a 3rd seat, the others were restored original, but as most of you know, the originals don't provide very much lateral support and vinyl isn't comfy on hot sweaty days.
I am going to build up the sides about 1" and recover my spare seat.
Has anyone tried this with neoprene? The side bolsters should be nice and flexible and it might be comfy to sit on at first but I'm not so sure about long term.
What do you all think?
d914
first experiment with a low center cushion, like one inch. even cut a hole for a submarine strap!!!. The lower you sit in the seat you are picking up butt holding capability fro the seat itself... easy to get in and out of. I was looking at doing a custom minimal upolstery on a stock seat to see what it would yeild....Nice and light cheap and functional.....???
tracks914
Well I just bought 3 yards of it on Ebay so I'll keep you all abreast of how they turn out.
djm914-6
I'm sure this is a dumb question:
What is neoprene?
turboman808
I did some upolstry work in alacantra suede. Looks really nice. Haven't tried the seats though.
STL914
QUOTE (djm914-6 @ Feb 26 2006, 05:20 PM)
What is neoprene?

Think Wetsuit!

Also use for fly fishing chest-high waders.
Twystd1
Neoprene = think wet suit material. Like for swimming.

There is a company called Wet Okoli in Hawaii and Costa Mesa Ca,
(my town)

That makes custom neoprene covers for ANY seat.

And in any color. Or combination of colors.

Many of the surfers around here have em cause you can get in your car wet when ya take a long lunch and get some surfing in.....

They seem to last about 3 years in a daily use Pick Up truck (my old one)

They never get really hot. Unless ya get black and leave them in direct sun.. even then. They cool off VERY quickly.

They can be made as a seat cover (typical) or can be made as a complete covering.

If ya want any more data. PM me.. I have met the owner several times.

I think I can probably get a better price than retail. wink.gif

Twystd1
Brent
Neoprene = retains heat. If you are in a cold climate, then worth a go. I hated my wifes car seat covers in her Integra!
tracks914
QUOTE (djm914-6 @ Feb 26 2006, 05:20 PM)
What is neoprene?

Neoprene is the material they use to make wet suits out of.
It is also used for Kayak covers and skirts, water proof gloves, socks, and yes seat covers.
I just thought to upolster the whole seat in it since I got 3 yards of it for about $40.
My thought was this, it's water proof and not very slippery. (I hate doing a slalom with "Armor-all" on a slippery vinyl seat)
I'll post the results.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.