Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: lemans karting in Fremont
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
krk
Folks,

Not a lot of P content here. Well, I drove a P-car to the facility -- and got to show off a new engine to a buddy who hasn't been in the car. He was speaking incomplete sentences at one point. :-) But I digress...

I went karting tonight. I've not done this before, but what a gas. It was indoors, at a fairly new facility in Fremont (bay area). (website: http://www.lemanskarting.com) The evening was set up by a buddy of mine who is friends with the owner. We were the last group, and we ran until we were tired. They supply everything you need -- helmets, suits/gloves, etc. Their rates seem pretty reasonable to me.

As a driver, I sucked pretty badly at first -- less badly as we worked through it. (tho I don't think I really got out of the "sucky" end of the measuring gauge) Did three sessions. After the first warmup session, we had a leader lead us around the track slowly through the lines, picking up speed with each lap. Huge difference. I sucked considerably less. It is definitely the case that momentum is everything in those critters. With something like 9hp on tap, if you rub up against things, or scrub off too much by sliding around, it just takes too much time to buy it back. I would often get one sequence of corners to line up (it is *so* cool when it works!) only to rub something in the next sequence. I never did get a complete lap that was rub free. I'm told it's a "practice" thing. Hate that.

Anyway, Brian & Brad (most racing dudes are apparently named "brad" -- prolly makes conversation easier. lol) who run the place were awesome. The corner workers seemed well trained, and they ran a good show. We watched a couple of practice and race sessions as we got there a bit early. Well run -- cheezy drivers get pulled over for a discussion -- the rest race on. An excellent couple of hours. I'll be doing it again.

Things that did drive me nuts -- no mirrors, and it's hard to see what's happening behind you. Man, you gotta watch your corner workers.

I now return you to your evening program.

mueba.gif

kim.
Tony C
Hey Kim, Lemans Karting is a lot of fun! I have known Brad Rumpleberg and Brain Vigil for a few years now. We all me at the "other" indoor karting place in the southbay. You will get used to the traffic, it will just take some time. We should set up a 914club hour there. I know I have seen Terrence there before, I am sure others on the board have been there too.

-Tony
krk
Tony,

I'll definitely be doing it again. It was a blast. I'm sure any kind of gathering there would be fun!

kim.
L8Apex
yeah, I went with some people I knew from HS. Couldn't get 1, I mean 1! clean lap in. hahaha. I wanted to run with you (Tony C) guys in the group after the one I was in. definately faster than speedring for sure. I'm actually going to Speedring this friday afternoon to do the 3 for $30 special thing with some friends. anyone want to join aktion035.gif

In related news, I went to RacePlace Motorsports last saturday. Fast karts. not very organized people, and yes, they did spend about a 1/4 million dollars too much on making the place look cool. In the good news, I set fastest time of day at 11pm. happy11.gif mueba.gif

Race Place really did try too hard to make it look nice. What a waste of money. I give it about 6 months before they go down the drain.
SirAndy
my first time on a kart track was a few weeks ago in boston (F1).
lots of fun!
about 1 1/2 seconds behind the track record.
which doesn't sound much but the track was pretty short, soooo,
guess i have to go back and kick some more ass aktion035.gif

btw. i'm the guy in the middle ...
EdwardBlume
Sounds like a really cool experience when you know somebody at the track!!!

I've done the speedring in Santa Clara where my work rented the place out for a couple races. I got DQed for being too aggressive but had some really hot laps.

The suggestion of having a 914 tour there would be great but we probably have to prepay to reserve a time slot especially if on the weekend.

The first GGR autocross is coming up at Candlestick on Mar 1. I'm working the LPR autocross the following Sun Mar 9 in Marina.

All you need is to be a PCA member, drive a Porsche, and bring a helmet (or one may be provided).

Take it easy!

ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif
krk
SirAndy: You're right on the track times. I was running something like mid 25 sec on my best -- the smooth folks were hitting 23's. Current track record is 22 something. But a second on that short a track is a loooonnnnngggg time. Driving behind a smooth guy was humbling -- there was no frikk'n way to catch up! Needed ar15.gif

cavwpguy: So you're what that "black flag" thing is for!! :-) It's definitely cool when you're on track with your buds. Tracks will usually set up a group event. You usually have to guarantee some $$ up front and so forth. Track manners "took me some learnin", but I eventually got most of it. We'll see how much of it sticks.

kim.
Brad Roberts
Tony,

Where should we hold a 914club "track day" ?? I wouldnt mind holding a club event with 20 or so people.

B
Tony C
I would vote for Lemans as I have been asked to not come back to the "other" place. If we get 20 people we will need to do heats and then a final sprint race for the top 10. Now when??? I have time in January 2004 smile.gif.

-tony
Brad Roberts
Dude,

I was just asking you where.. NO WAY in hell I would "invite" you. LOL When did Peter ask you "not" to come back ? That is funny.

The key is: count 20 people and 10 will arrive..we will be golden.

B
Tony C
Peter didn't, his new "manager" did after I went through 5(yes FIVE) karts during their last promotion day. Two had complete wheel failures, one flat tire, one that had a miss, one that broke a drive belt, and one that would only turn left... I left, went straight to Lemans Karting and set the track record I was so pissed!

-Tony
Brad Roberts
Interesting. I hadnt spent much time there..but I thought the last guy was doing "OK" Paul ??

Like it was your fault they now have shitty carts.

B
Tony C
Paul wasn't there. This new guy replaces James from the UK who finally go tired of Peter's crap and left. BTW James designed the Leman's Karting track and is over here for a little bit consulting for them.

-Tony
krk
Guys,

I'm sure we can support the entry enough to make a play if it's at lemans. I'm embarassed to say how many were on the track for my "sporting event". I came third. That's all I'll say. :-)

Anyway, I'm happy to help set it all up if there's enough interest to go around!

kim.
Mueller
can i bring my wife to embarrass a few of the guys??? smile.gif
Brad Roberts
Kim,

make it so. Start a new thread and pick a weekend. I'll "pin it up" as a 914club event.

We will need a head count.

B
krk
Mike,

Absolutely! First, it was my first time at this stuff. She can do it. In addition, I swear, karting has some equalisations in it. You all get "the same kart". Do you all weigh the same? (take your time....) one of the races we watched had a tiny gal driving. Her cart had a noticably different acceleration and handling curve! (she also hit a barrier with more color than any other, but that's another story)

kim.
krk
Brad,

DAMN!!! Cornerd! Where's the damn flagman -- I should have been pitted by now...

Oh well... I'll look at getting something set up. :-)

Dates and numbers will be the gig, as you already know.....

kim.
Mueller
I went karting with my wife and little sister a few months ago...I had a heck up a time catching back up with the wife after a spin...of course I easily have 80+ pound on her smile.gif
Tony C
Kim, as you will find out soon enough, nothing is equal! I used to race in a "spec" series, lets just say you could get a good car or a bad car and you knew it.

-Tony
krk
Tony,

Thank you! This is excellent!

I can blame my fat ass and the POS car they gave me! (really, I'm a great driver -- no, I can't see behind me -- oh, are all my competitors heavier than me?? -- oh, I can't see people who wave colorful flag -- oh, oh -- I may have been "outed".... I may need more help out of this one..... :-)

Kidding aside, I'm dead certain you're right. The idea of building a bunch of cars that are officially "the same" would prolly freak most car builders. It would me for sure. Actually, having more than one that started equally well would be an issue.... but I digress....

kim.
Tony C
Kim, If you come out to the 914 club day at Leman's I will switch karts with the slowest driver for a session. Most likley their time delta will be larger than mine (only because I "kinda" know how to drive, right cool.gif, but there will still be a difference in my times. Lap times at indoor kart tracks is determined by these factors, track surface(how dirty is it), track temp, tire temp, kart set-up, then hp. AN individual driver adds, skill, and a weight factor. Weight DOES have a large effect. The current lap record at Speedring is held by a woman that wieghs about 115lbs.

-Tony
PatW
I can't stand it anymore. All this talk about Karting is making my blood boil. I'm going to lemans karting on saturday afternoon after Roadglue with my little brother to settle a score. Lets hope age and treachery will over youth and skill this time. ar15.gif

How close is the Hospital from there anyways? tongue.gif tongue.gif
L8Apex
ah, getting some of that "cheating bastard" practice in for the 914Club meet eh?! (only the greatest of the websurfers know where that came from)

I guess the lemans karting meet on March 15th good for most of you guys? We need to pick a time, and also a head count. Then I, or Tony C (cause he knows the owners) can call to make the appointment.
krk
I'm thinking the 15th will work fine for me, but I won't actually know for a week or so.
(very low chance that it won't -- no worries) Definitely get Tony (or even me) to make the call -- always play your "who loves you baby" card when setting up group events. (I'll just play the "name drop" card -- lol) Actually, my buddy may be able to make it out as well. He's an ex-P car driver so he can fake it.

kim.
vortrex
I went to speedring once...ate in-n-out on the way there (first and last time), then puked 2/3's of the way into the race. biggrin.gif
Brad Roberts
Remind me not to take you for a ride in a "prepared" 914 after lunch.

B
vortrex
should be fine as long as I don't eat fast food and a shake 30 min prior!
seanery
That's a waste of a good In-N-Out!

mmmmm.....In-N-Out....mmmmmm

don't have those in Indy!
no Jamba Juice either, no Koo Koo Roo either....mmmm....Koo Koo Roo....
L8Apex
you gotta do the swimming thing.

Eat, then wait 1/2 hour before you race.

I take the other route, skip breakfast, be lighter than everyone there, make the bet, win, then have everyone treat you out to dinner.

pray.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.