Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 topic: How do you install a HEI distributor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
neo914-6
I know the cyl order, just not sure which plug wires orient on the dist.

Where's Levi when you need him? smile.gif
neo914-6
to add complexity I have a pointer on the gear drive cover for timing... screwy.gif
Twystd1
Put the balancer on the engine.

Pull #1 spark plug.

Stick finger in #1 spark plug hole.

Have bro turn engine with long handled breaker bar, and a socket on the snout bolt.

Wait till it come up to compression stroke. See if the ZERO on the balancer kinda aligns with rod on your timing chain cover. And look in the spark plug hole or stick a plastic straw in the spark plug hole till ya have a sense if the piston is at TDC on compression stroke.

Then pull cap..

Wherever the rotor is pointed... that is number 1

messix
find tdc on #1. install dist. rotor will now be at #1 orient cap on dist. and install wires in firing order.
messix
i doubt that the pointer will be accurate on whatever balancer he has.
when using non stock stuff its best to establish tdc with a dial indacator with the head off. then you index you pointer and balancer for tdc.
after market has been off way off in my exper.
3liter914-6
QUOTE (messix @ Feb 26 2006, 11:59 PM)
find tdc on #1. install dist. rotor will now be at #1 orient cap on dist. and install wires in firing order.

agree.gif

#1 is wherever you put it. I think generally most SBC guys stick it at the 2 o'clock position. Where 12 o'clock is pointing at the rear of the engine.
Twystd1
If ya have it dead nutz.. (I would)
Messix is correct.

Come to think of it...

To time the engine with a timing light..

You are going to HAVE TO KNOW exactly where TDC is.
So the pointer is accurately reflecting the TDC or whatever degree BTC your balancer is supposed to show..

Else your gunna be stuck timing it by feel... (not) (but it can work if it's all ya got)

Thanks Messix.

By the way... Does the balancer have degree tape or markings on it?????

Twystd1
neo914-6
Thanks guys,

The HEI rotor is not as "pointed" as non-HEI...

The engine ran in a car for a year. The PO just removed his injection manifold and dist...

I didn't even install the original pointer since the belts were in the way. PO ran elect. water pump...
Crazyhippy
These guys got it covered, just be careful w/ the 5-7 plug wires, it's easy to mix them up.

As far as timing, can either build a bracket and mark the balancer somewhere you can see it w/ the motor in the car (and running), or go through the top of the bellhousing, and mark the flywheel, i've seen both ways work succesfully.

I like to make a bracket on the bottom 1/2 of the balancer, drivers side, and mark where TDC#1 is, have to lay on the ground to see the mark, but it's not too bad. Also have to have a timing gun that you can dial in the timing you want. A 2nd person moving the dist is 500% easier than doing it all yourself.

BJH
efeinsmith
If the distributor was removed, then the static timing will need to be checked. As was described earlier, when cyl. 1 is at TDC on compression, the rotor should be pointing to the wire for cyl. 1, but you need to position the toothed wheel in the HEI distributor (below the rotor) so that its teeth line up exactly with the teeth of the pickup coil. That should set the engine timing at TDC. You can experiment from there.

Eric
Mueller
QUOTE (efeinsmith @ Feb 27 2006, 05:33 PM)
If the distributor was removed, then the static timing will need to be checked. As was described earlier, when cyl. 1 is at TDC on compression, the rotor should be pointing to the wire for cyl. 1, but you need to position the toothed wheel in the HEI distributor (below the rotor) so that its teeth line up exactly with the teeth of the pickup coil. That should set the engine timing at TDC. You can experiment from there.

Eric

agree.gif with Eric.... rotor pointing to #1 while at #1 TDC....this is how I installed the HEI in that monster of a mother SBC 911...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.