Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 R Lights Arrive
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Series9
These are going to be cool:

Mueller
QUOTE (Series9 @ Feb 27 2006, 12:06 PM)
These are going to be cool:

those are going to be pretty.......i'm still waiting to get my "referral" bonus from him smile.gif

turboman808
Those are pretty cool I'd like to see a finished product!
Mueller
QUOTE (turboman808 @ Feb 27 2006, 12:22 PM)
Those are pretty cool I'd like to see a finished product!

same here, hurry up Joe, it's been 20 minutes already, you should finished !!!!!!
Aaron Cox
show the backside....
nomore9one4
Cool! were did they come from?
Joe Ricard
Bottom line
How fast will it make the car?
rjames
They're lighter then the stock assembly, right? cool.gif
KaptKaos
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 27 2006, 11:28 AM)
show the backside....

Why do you keep saying stuff like that to people. Sheesh! chairfall.gif
Series9
For Aaron bootyshake.gif

Flat VW
QUOTE (Series9 @ Feb 27 2006, 03:02 PM)
For Aaron bootyshake.gif

They are lovely from the back too,

Leo Imperial
Will they be body color or black or Oympic Blue and sent to The New New Jersey? aktion035.gif
fiid
What does one do for reversing lights with this setup? Are there some nicer roundies that have the reversing lights built in?? (IIRC - the Elise ones have the reversing lights in the middle or something)....

Aaron Cox
get those bad boys wrapped in a CF layer biggrin.gif

body color would be bad ass on joes ride smile.gif
r_towle
Is this the first prototype?

Or is there a thread showing these already installed?

Rich
ynotdd
I want !! were do I buy? very cool! flag.gif
Series9
I think these are the first production set.

They're $300 from MikeS. ar_concepts@hotmail.com.
(818) 470-5700

These are going to be satin black and I don't have a back-up light arrangement anyway. They are available with a white light though.
Loser_Cruiser
How will you seal them to car so water doesnt get behind them?
Andyrew
EEk gawds. 300?

They look nice and all... but i'll pass....
scotty b
I inquired in the original thread about reverse lights and they are available. Link below,last page has a listing of available color combos. I am probably going to be running a 3 light setup on my car when I get around to it wacko.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...&hl=914r&st=100
Series9
QUOTE (Loser_Cruiser @ Feb 27 2006, 05:54 PM)
How will you seal them to car so water doesnt get behind them?

I won't.
plymouth37
so cool! are there any other photos of these taillights on the web? very interested! I would like to see the three lighter or at least a set on a car. come on I need something! please? I'm all excited and have nothing too drool over! headbang.gif
DanT
Wow, they look great, but $300?
I guess I will have to put that on the back burner for now.
I want to build a 914-4 version of a 911R and those tail lights would fit right in. That will be my next project.
Maybe later. smile.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Feb 27 2006, 11:26 PM)
Wow, they look great, but $300?
I guess I will have to put that on the back burner for now.
I want to build a 914-4 version of a 911R and those tail lights would fit right in. That will be my next project.
Maybe later. smile.gif

1 new rear euro lens is 185 bucks...

a new housing is liek another 100?

i hate porsche pricing for these damn vee dubs laugh.gif
Series9
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 27 2006, 11:54 PM)

1 new rear euro lens is 185 bucks...

a new housing is liek another 100?

That's exactly right.

It's not really that much if you break it down:

2 Hella brake lights: ~$30 each
2 Hella combo lights: ~$40 each
6 bulbs: ~$15
2 housings: ~$65 each
Shipping: $15

I have no idea if this is how it actually breaks down, but it makes the price seem reasonable. All the Hella parts are very high quality and I have a feeling the housings will fit perfectly.
Series9
Update: I just spent about an hour doing a test-fit on the RS. Let's just say the housings will require considerable 'refinement' to fit properly.

To be fair, I can't guarantee the RS meets any factory standard in the tail light openings after all these years. The left housing is going to take significantly less work than the right.

On the right housing, I had to use the Dremel to even get it to go in the opening and it ended up being so thin in a couple of places that holes have developed.

Don't look for pictures for a few days. I have a lot going on and a day of fiberglass work wasn't really on the list.

I can say that they'll look right when I'm finished with them.

Standby.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Series9 @ Feb 28 2006, 09:17 AM)
Update: I just spent about an hour doing a test-fit on the RS. Let's just say the housings will require considerable 'refinement' to fit properly.

To be fair, I can't guarantee the RS meets any factory standard in the tail light openings after all these years. The left housing is going to take significantly less work than the right.

On the right housing, I had to use the Dremel to even get it to go in the opening and it ended up being so thin in a couple of places that holes have developed.

Don't look for pictures for a few days. I have a lot going on and a day of fiberglass work wasn't really on the list.

I can say that they'll look right when I'm finished with them.

Standby.

thats a bummer joe dry.gif
boxstr
I have three sets of R lites but have not advertised because they did not come with the studs for mounting them. I have asked Mark to send me a set that will work. Hopefully I will get some. More later.
CCLINRLITES
Series9
QUOTE (boxstr @ Feb 28 2006, 10:11 AM)
I have three sets of R lites but have not advertised because they did not come with the studs for mounting them. I have asked Mark to send me a set that will work. Hopefully I will get some.  More later.
CCLINRLITES

Mine have SAE studs. I found out they were SAE when I pulled out a die to chase the threads to remove epoxy. They should really have metric hardware.

If they didn't have studs, it would be a LOT of extra work.
Series9
I got back on it this afternoon.

Here's the first installed picture on any 914:

Andyrew
More... More!!

Show us the money pic!!!
Series9
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Feb 28 2006, 04:56 PM)
More... More!!

Show us the money pic!!!

That's all for now. The right side needs much more work (but I'm blaming the RS, not Mike).

......and they're not wired yet....
Aaron Cox
it needs a third light...

looks great on your ride Joe!

do a CF layer to match the decklids...

AA
scotty b
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 28 2006, 04:46 PM)
it needs a third light...

looks great on your ride Joe!

do a CF layer to match the decklids...

AA

agree.gif Red/amber----------RED-------------Red/clear center

(for reverse) Is what I have in mind
Series9
I think the arrangement for reverse lights is still a two-light system.
scotty b
QUOTE (Series9 @ Feb 28 2006, 05:23 PM)

It is . It's a 50/50 split red and white just like the red/amber light. I thought a red outer with a clear center would look better confused24.gif Like the 308/328 Ferraris driving.gif Probably make the car faster too
Series9
QUOTE (scotty b @ Feb 28 2006, 06:39 PM)
QUOTE (Series9 @ Feb 28 2006, 05:23 PM)

It is . It's a 50/50 split red and white just like the red/amber light. I thought a red outer with a clear center would look better confused24.gif Like the 308/328 Ferraris driving.gif Probably make the car faster too

I'm not positive on the arrangement of the clear section in the second light, but definitely have the impression there are a total of two lights, not three.
scotty b
ohmy.gif Misunderstanding now understood!! What I'm thinking of, and I think Aaron as well, is a setup with 3 seperate units. Outer light being for the turn and ?? center being parking and brake and the insdie light being for the reverse and ?? (?? = parking or brake)
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (scotty b @ Feb 28 2006, 07:08 PM)
ohmy.gif Misunderstanding now understood!! What I'm thinking of, and I think Aaron as well, is a setup with 3 seperate units. Outer light being for the turn and ?? center being parking and brake and the insdie light being for the reverse and ?? (?? = parking or brake)

taste is relative... i ithink it would be mo betta with a third physical light unit....
scotty b
Like this only...............different wacko.gif
Aaron Cox
just makes better use of the space.... wink.gif

looks good regardless
Series9
QUOTE (scotty b @ Feb 28 2006, 07:12 PM)
Like this only....

...salty....for Aaron...... cool.gif
scotty b
QUOTE (Series9 @ Feb 28 2006, 09:06 PM)
QUOTE (scotty b @ Feb 28 2006, 07:12 PM)
Like this only....

...salty....for Aaron...... cool.gif

Oh no...that's just disgusting icon8.gif
Marv's3.6six
just makes better use of the space....
The 911R versions available on the bird board are both ways, 2 and 3 light combo's.

This system looks like a good deal to me, I have purchased several sets of used 914 taillight housings, all have been junk. New housings from the bird board are $457 ea!!!!!!!!! so $300 does not sound that bad 2 me.
Series9
Finished. I have about five hours of labor in them, but they look great:

tdsmoonchild
QUOTE(Series9 @ Apr 18 2006, 09:00 AM) *

Finished. I have about five hours of labor in them, but they look great:

IPB Image

Damn, your ride is fine, Joe!!!!!! pray.gif
TINCAN914
Very Cool!!!!
retrotech
Me too...........
tod914
Looks great nice work!! tooks some liberties with your photo... heres 3 lights Click to view attachment
retrotech
Someone asked about my wheels. 993, 17 x 7", w 205's The rear lip is pinched, thats all, still room for more.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.