Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suspension Q's??????
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
East coaster
Ok, Here's the deal. I'm building my car as a street machine, not race. If I ever autocross or track it, it will strictly be for fun/education and don't care if it's the least bit competitive. I want to maintain a decent street ride too. So with that goal in mind, I have a couple of suspension Q's. I'm trying to decide spring rates and wanted some opinions from the "Garage".

Here's the "known" parts, the car is a 3.6L 6 conversion with '85 Carrera front end, Tarret front sway bar and stock rear end with stock sway bar. I do have a limited slip trans (in case it matters?)

I'm ready to order front torsion bars (since I just took the front end apart and found 1 rusty bar) and would like opinions on what diameter? Also, I have a brand new set of progressive 165lb rear springs and I'm not sure I want to use them, so opinions on rear springs too????

Thanks!!
Joe Ricard
Rusty Torsion bar? Like "HOW" rusty?
Surface rust just clean it up and put it back. If REALLY rusty buy a new pair of matching pieces. 19mm is good for street 21mm's will make you wish you had gotten 19's a carerra suspension is probably plenty stiff enough for a 914 the rear springs of 165 lbs seem pretty good too. just get some decent shocks and drive it like you stole it. Bilstien are GUD shocks.

Remember you said street.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Feb 27 2006, 01:15 PM)
Rusty Torsion bar? Like "HOW" rusty?
Surface rust just clean it up and put it back. If REALLY rusty buy a new pair of matching pieces. 19mm is good for street 21mm's will make you wish you had gotten 19's a carerra suspension is probably plenty stiff enough for a 914 the rear springs of 165 lbs seem pretty good too. just get some decent shocks and drive it like you stole it. Bilstien are GUD shocks.

Remember you said street.

carerra are 19mm torsions just liek all 911's.....

19's are nice.... 22's are a tad stiff for the street (i now know smile.gif )

try 21's and 180 or 21's and 200's.....
TravisNeff
I have 22mm torsion bars for my daily driver, it is pretty rough on bumpy roads. I would do 21mm tosion bars, your tarret swaybar and 180-200lb springs.
East coaster
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I have a set of Koni Reds (adjustable) for all 4 corners to add to the "known parts".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.