Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weird questions about 4 cyl and 6 cyl engine mount
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Richard Casto
I am working on doing a six swap. I am looking to do the work in this order…

1. Strip car to bare metal via caustic dip method
2. Do all (cross fingers) body work at this point.
3. Paint and reassemble car.
4. Reinstall 4 cyl
5. Drive car and have fun while I…
6. …get together all required parts for engine swap
7. Do the 6 cyl swap

As part of step #2 I would like to put in a factory style 6 cyl engine mount.

Questions…

1. Will existence of a factory style 6 cyl engine mount make it difficult or impossible to reinstall the 4 cyl? For example would this create weird clearance issues?
2. Do factory 914-6 have the 4 cyl engine mounts on the body? I assume they do.
3. But if the answer to #2 is “No”. Does the existence of the 4 cyl engine mounts cause problems with doing 4 to 6 swaps?

Thanks,

Richard
Mueller
chances of the /4 fitting with the /6 bulkhead mount is pretty slim...it might clear the fan housing, but I don't think the front sheetmetal will work at all.........

original /6's did not have the outboard "pods", some people remove them on conversions..no real need to unless you have time and energy to kill doing so....

I think you are better off just waiting to install the /6 mount once you drop the /4 motor for good.......
SirAndy
you'll have some trouble with the 4 sheetmetal and fan-housing ...

i'd say, collect all your /6 conversion parts now, add the /6 mount, remove the /4 mounts, then paint & assemble the car withy the /6 ...

cool_shades.gif Andy
McMark
I'm curious why you want to use a stock six mount. unsure.gif

If I remember tomorrow I will take measurements. I have a stock six in the shop and a car with a four cylinder installed. So I can check for sure if it will fit.
Richard Casto
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Feb 27 2006, 11:06 PM)
you'll have some trouble with the 4 sheetmetal and fan-housing ...

i'd say, collect all your /6 conversion parts now, add the /6 mount, remove the /4 mounts, then paint & assemble the car withy the /6 ...

cool_shades.gif Andy

headbang.gif Oh well. It sounds like my plan is not going to work. laugh.gif I will probably do as Andy suggests.
Richard Casto
QUOTE (McMark @ Feb 27 2006, 11:14 PM)
I'm curious why you want to use a stock six mount.  :unsure:

If I remember tomorrow I will take measurements.  I have a stock six in the shop and a car with a four cylinder installed.  So I can check for sure if it will fit.

planning to use stock "style" that mounts to the bulkhead. The Rich Johnson one seems to be one that keeps popping up in various threads. smile.gif

If you measure and figure out that it will fit let me know!!
Jeroen
the stock /6 mount is very different from Rich Johnsons mount
both are welded tot he firewall, but that is where the simularities stop wink.gif

the stock /6 mount has only 1 mounting point for the engine (it's mounted using ONE bolt)

the RJ set up has 2 mounting points (=better)
and it's prolly cheaper than the stock /6 mount too (if you can find the parts at all)
Racing916
I went with the patrick motorsports mount, simple and easy to use. It bolts in the same way as the 4 cyl motor does. No welding required, and still very strong.
jdogg
Richard-
I will be installing my RJ mount this week. You are welcome to stop by to take a look and see for yourself. I can indeed foresee clearance issues with trying to install your -4 with the mount in place.
I'd just hold off till you're ready for the -6, as there are plenty of other changes you'll have to make in the engine compartment at the same time.....holes for the oil tank, removing some of the brackets, etc...
McMark
According to my measurements, the stock six mount comes out 4 inches, and the four cylinder tin is about 5.5 inches. So a four will fit with a six mount. BUT most likely you'll have to remove/install the front tin while the motor is in the car or during installation because it will hit.
grantsfo
QUOTE (Racing916 @ Feb 28 2006, 06:23 AM)
I went with the patrick motorsports mount, simple and easy to use. It bolts in the same way as the 4 cyl motor does. No welding required, and still very strong.

Yep go with the Patrick MS mount. No welding, cutting etc. It just bolts in.
Mueller
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Feb 28 2006, 11:43 AM)
QUOTE (Racing916 @ Feb 28 2006, 06:23 AM)
I went with the patrick motorsports mount, simple and easy to use.  It bolts in the same way as the 4 cyl motor does.  No welding required, and still very strong.

Yep go with the Patrick MS mount. No welding, cutting etc. It just bolts in.

I'd use the "new" PM mount, a few people here have had the old style crack from what I've seen here before...
Richard Casto
QUOTE (jdogg @ Feb 28 2006, 01:00 PM)
Richard-
I will be installing my RJ mount this week. You are welcome to stop by to take a look and see for yourself. I can indeed foresee clearance issues with trying to install your -4 with the mount in place.
I'd just hold off till you're ready for the -6, as there are plenty of other changes you'll have to make in the engine compartment at the same time.....holes for the oil tank, removing some of the brackets, etc...

Jason,

I didn't know you was using the RJ mount. I will email you later to try to find a time to drop by and check it out!

Richard
Richard Casto
QUOTE (McMark @ Feb 28 2006, 01:01 PM)
According to my measurements, the stock six mount comes out 4 inches, and the four cylinder tin is about 5.5 inches. So a four will fit with a six mount. BUT most likely you'll have to remove/install the front tin while the motor is in the car or during installation because it will hit.

Mark,

Thanks for checking for me. beer.gif

Richard
Cap'n Krusty
A word of caution about "dipping" the car to remove the paint, rust, what have you. It is a LOT harder to remove the "dip" than to remove the paint. I have personally seen the resulting "overetch", and heard of many other cases. It MUST be thoroughly neutralized, something that seems to be beyond the ability of a LOT of the companies out there doing the stripping.

That said, I'd do the whole conversion at once, so the mount, the holes for the tank, and any other mods you choose to do, all get painted. I've seen a LOT of different approaches to the front mount, and I've used the OE mount (there were no other options at the time), the crossbar mount (like Patrick's and others), and the RJ mount. Rich's is bay far the strongest, the cleanest, and the best, IMO.

The Cap'n
dimitri
I do have an original 914/6 and a cconversion 6. If you are sure you will do
a 6 conversion later, by all means prepare the front mount now. There is
no interferrence with the 4 cylinder motor. Dimitri
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.