Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cookie Cutter megaphones for my SIX
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
I like them and their loudness...Will they make more power when I'm running at 5-7k on a long straight?

Thanks, KT
Aaron Cox
youll lose bottom end and gain noise and MAYBE a little top end...
DanT
IF you put those on everyone will know when you are on it and when you aren't.

Followed the black and gold 914-6 with megaphones on it on Saturday at Sears.
sounds like Le Mans sound track.

very cool and very loud....
must have been below 103db since that was our sound level for the weekend.
That will be OK at every track we go to currently. Won't fly at Laguna if GGR ever gets another event date there. Most groups at Laguna get either 90 or 92db level. Make sure you keep the Monza for Laguna dates or several potatoes. laugh.gif
Trekkor
Here's the one, #304.

I was watching him run. He never really got in it.
It sounded like forth gear out of 2 confused24.gif

When I am on the track I am rarely below 4500rpm's if that makes a differance Jumpy.gif

KT

DanT
Yep, that is the one.
He was having a good time, but never did get on it like I would have wink.gif
Nice fellow having fun with his nice toy.

Eric Ostly (black 914-6) had been running megaphones at most of our events for several years. Just last year he switched to Phase 9s. Next time I see him I will ask him about his opinions of the megaphones vs. the phase 9s.
Trekkor
Mmmm...Phase nine's drooley.gif

Aren't they north of $350...each?
The megs a $100 a pair.

The #304 guy was very friendly.
Told me about his 2.7 car. Sounded like it was fairly new to him.

I told the corner worker at turn 2 that #304's exhaust was hanging down. I don't know if he called that in?

KT
Carrera916
KT,

when I was a boy, my father was 'crew chief' during the very early Trans-Am days, running 911s under 2.5L class back then and I always liked helping him out.

One of my duty was to repaint the new mega w/ cookie cutter thingy on, I've asked him why it's there all of sudden (I've always repainted the ones without cookie cutters)....he claimed that the factory (back then) was "pull other manufacture teams' leg" when Porsche showed up at a track with these cool megas....poke.gif just to make them worried and wondered what's Porsche up to!

I don't recall him mentioned about the power increase or anything, just an out loud joke on people basically...as for loudness? I dunno...I would need to stick a megaphone into my better ear to listen for it....happy11.gif

yeah, I liked it a lot and am in process of making patterns to create a very short mega w/ cookie pattern to be weld on stock 2.0L 914 muffler, ala sports muffler set up for one of a member here and of course, for myself...

I even thought of duplicate the center pipe off of an RS60 Spyder......stuff it on the same muffler....aint i that crazy? screwy.gif
DanT
QUOTE (trekkor @ Feb 27 2006, 10:40 PM)
Mmmm...Phase nine's drooley.gif

Aren't they north of $350...each?
The megs a $100 a pair.

The #304 guy was very friendly.
Told me about his 2.7 car. Sounded like it was fairly new to him.

I told the corner worker at turn 2 that #304's exhaust was hanging down. I don't know if he called that in?

KT

yah, phase 9s are pricey $$$

His left exhaust was hanging down like that most of the day. ??? wacko.gif huh.gif

It did not move around when he cornered or accelerated so I guess it was on there fairly well.

Got to love the sound of a nice 2.7L wub.gif

carr914
You will love the sound. It's the only pipe I've run since I put my SIX in. A little loud for the street but WTF.

T.C.
campbellcj
I have found my engine pulls very noticably 'easier' up to redline with the megaphones compared to a Dansk 2-in/2-out. I'm mainly talking about 5500-7000rpm's. My engine feels constipated in comparison with the muffler installed. The midrange impact due to no backpressure should not normally be an issue with track driving as long as you stay in the powerband. If you let it drop under 4K or so (depending on cams etc), you may get some bog.

So far I like the "slightly muffled" megaphones I got from Ben McFarland; they're stainless too, but approx 3X as expensive as regular cookie cutters from George Narbel.
Downunderman
These work well on a 2.7, (not mine), but are a bit loud when its on the cam.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....ghlight=stinger
Trekkor
Thanks for the replies.

KT
grantsfo
A vendor sent me a set of megaphones by mistake last week. I was very very tempted to not return them.

When youre on track with other people they are going to anticpate everything you are doing a little easier.
Trekkor
Sooooo, do you still have them? boldblue.gif

KT
campbellcj
QUOTE (Howard R @ Feb 28 2006, 09:42 AM)
These work well on a 2.7, (not mine), but are a bit loud when its on the cam.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....ghlight=stinger

Yep; those are the ones I have. They are basically megaphones...turned down a few notches. They are still straight-thru pipes with just some packing around the outside. The dB reduction INSIDE my car was significant; I have it written down somewhere but it was around 8-10dBA IIRC (that is a LOT on a logarithmic scale).
grantsfo
QUOTE (trekkor @ Feb 28 2006, 10:08 PM)
Sooooo, do you still have them? boldblue.gif

KT

No returned them back to Arizona. But I may get a set just for giggles.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.