Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: re-chrome re-finish fog grills
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
Is there a way to re-chrome the plastic fog grills? Can't find my eastwood catalog. Thought maybe they had something like that.

david
Bleyseng
You can buy them new still ya know..
Black paint doesn't look too bad on them either.
redshift
That chrome paint at Autozone should be taken seriously too.

If you clean all the flash off (scraped with a modeling knife), and steel wool (lightly man, it's plastic! I do 00, then 0000) the little crap out, you can get some 'better than acceptable' results.

Oh, and it costs about $8, and an hour.

M
Drums66
Redshift,has something there about the chrome paint on plastic.............I've seen some amazing results! can also be used to do your tail light and blinker buckets in side smilie_pokal.gif
si2t3m
I did the blinker and tail light buckets with chrome paint. I was hesitant at first but the rattlecan chrome paint really gave me good results on buckets.

Marc-André
redshift
I totally ignore the instructions on the can.

I prime the parts after removing the flash, and cleaning, polish the prime, then I dust on coats.. dry tacky in 10 minutes.. I repeat that until I have full coverage, almost a dusting.

It holds up really well, june bugs be damned.

-splat!-

M
Brad Roberts
Show us some pics of them.. I have a few sets that need to be done.

B
redshift
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Sep 8 2003, 02:59 AM)
Show us some pics of them.. I have a few sets that need to be done.

B

Willdoo, gimme a few days to get at a camera with my car nearby.

M
machina
QUOTE(redshift @ Sep 7 2003, 07:59 PM)
I prime the parts after removing the flash, and cleaning, polish the prime, then I dust on coats.. dry tacky in 10 minutes.. I repeat that until I have full coverage, almost a dusting.

just wondering what you prime the part with since it is plastic. Do you use any old primer?

thanks,
david
sj914
Just found this

http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/silvaspray.html
redshift
I used Krylon last time.

Just stay away from cheapo brands, you want a high solid content, it polishes better, and the more the primer shines, the more the finished piece shines.

Ever make models, and use metalizers? Same deal.

M
Rusty
Do you put a clear over the chrome paint?

-Rusty smoke.gif

P.S. Can you strip the old finish off with oven-cleaner?
redshift
Nope Rusty, it's pretty hard stuff..

I keep talking about polishing the primer, but forgot to mention I use cotton, with a very light touch, and q-tips for the lil places. Very lightly. I have owned a 911, I can be anal-retarded.

Hmmph!

I have a nasty spare horn grille, looks like a good candidate for a photo session.

M
Jeroen
A client of ours has a bodyshop
Soon he'll have a new paint system that will allow them to spraypaint chrome anything you like.
Works on plastics (like the fog grills, trim pieces etc.) but also on bumpers and wheels
You can't tell the difference between this paint and real chrome (which is expensive and difficult, some times impossible)

So, imagine, you have a steel bumper, with a few dents. They clean it up, prime it and spray it... Next thing you know you have a brand spanking new chrome bumper

You could try chroming a steel bumper, but it has to be perfect to begin with (no dents etc) and it will cost ya

cheers,

Jeroen
redshift
I want my whole car that color.

-bling-

M
Andyrew
Hey Redshift, what was the product at Autozone called? I bought some stuff, but I dont think I got the right one...

Andrew

(doing the wheels..)
redshift
Brand is 'Plasti-Kote', and it's called 'Bumper Chrome'..

Yo! Calgon! Take me away!

-bling-

ohmy.gif

cool.gif

M
fuch toy
I used the chrome paint on the grills for the "Rocket"....aceptable and looked great from 3 feet +...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.