Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need advice on tires and rims - 914-6 Project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shoguneagle
Just getting back into the 914-6 project and need advice regarding rims, tires, and offsets to be used on the car. What I have is a 74 914 with F/G GT fenders, 3.0 CIS engine, 911 front suspension and brakes, modified five lug stub axles w/914 brakes, adjustable perch with 180-200 lbs springs, rear red Koni Gas adjustable, rear sway bar, 22mm front sway bar (Weltmeister), 22 mm front torsion bars, bump steering kit, turbo tierods, new late ball joints, etc. I think I have mentioned anything and everything that could possibly affect the rim, tire, and adaptor selection.

I really need advice on the alternate rims, tires, and adaptors to use. I do not have any knowledge in this area except the Fuchs are really getting out of sit when looking at the recent market prices.

Questions involve but not limited to the following:

1. Using Boxster rims with the GT flared fenders, and what are the appropriate offset adaptors to use?

2. How do you configure Offset so larger tires can fit into the flared fenders?

3. Can the 944 Fuchs be used on the converted five lugs?

4. What size tire can be used along with different size rims (15, 16, 17, etc) on the 914?

5. What width tire and offset will center the tire in the fender well?

6. and alot of other questions that could come up.

I would appreciate any advice regarding this matter and from what ever source. Would like to run 16 or possible 17 inch rims, 7 inches wide in front, 8 inches wide in rear; Possible run 7 inch wide rims on all four corners with different sizes in the front and rear. Need to look at this area very closely since it looks like costs could easily get out of line and not get what I desire.

Thanks again,
Steve Hurt
Shoguneagle sad.gif unsure.gif wacko.gif w00t.gif
iamchappy
Im running 944 turbo fuchs 16-7 with 225/50/16's on the front with a 3/4 inch spacer and 16-8 with 245/45/16's on rear with the same 3/4 inch spacer. I would ultimately like to run 285/45/17's on 17/10 rims on the back but think I would need bigger than 9 inch flares on the rear.

If they made a 265/45/16 tire I would go that route on a set of 16/9 or 10 wide rims.
VegasRacer
It sounds like you are on the right track. I like the looks of 16's on a 914. However, you have more choices for wheels and tires in 17". Boxster wheels are a good cheap option. 8 inch wheels look a lot better in the back than 7's.

I run 225-50-16 all the way around on 8" Fuchs for the street and 225-50-16 front and 245-45-16 rear on 8's & 9's Canonica 3 piece wheels for the track.
Andyrew
Glad to hear your still alive steve!!!

Sounds like your doing some great stuff to your car! Cant wait to see it all done!

For reference.. I have 18x10's on the back and 17x 8.5's up front biggrin.gif

I have a vid in my sig of a while ago...

I'll send you some recent pics if you want..
turboman808
I'm curious what size tires you guys are using in 17s

Also what are you using for a daily tire/autox tire. I am tired of dragging race tires around and just want a good tire that will last 10k miles.

I use azenis on my civic and I am very happy with them. I don't think they make a set that would work with a porsche though. Yokohama maybe???
mrdezyne
17 x 7 up front with 225/45 17
17 x 9 in the rear with 275/40 17

Not using GT flares, Bontempi's in the back only... (obviously not mounted yet in the pic)

Falken GR Beta
280 treadwear
ZR speed
A temp
A traction
Aaron Cox
9's fit fine under gt flares....

seen 10's fit also (standard gt flares...)
turboman808
I'm curious to knowif someone has gotten 17x8 to work up front without flares by rolling the fenders? And 17x10 in the rear with flenders?

I actualy like to roll the fenders on my cars. Gives you a more agressive look.

shoguneagle
Thanks for the responses; they are most helpful.

Vegas Racer: I was just in Lost Wages for the AC Cobra meet at C. Shelby's. Had a great time and saw several old friends. I like your suggestions using the Boxster rims.

Andy: thanks for the info and please send me some pictures of your car. I like the idea of the rims you are using but around the Flagstaff area, they are probably to wide.++

Looking at the information above, I think I would like to use Boxster rims (8x17??? on all four corners; or maybe 9x17???) Do not know anything about them in size and width, lug spacing (5x130??), spacers/adaptors to use, tire sizes, etc. I like these because of cost and the advantage of putting larger calipers on the car.

What do you guys think??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.