Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How I spent yesterday evening
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ClayPerrine
I spent yesterday evening working on both 914s that live in my garage.

I put a bump steer kit on mine, and realigned the front end. I actually had to put my car on jackstands as the lift was occupied. I also straightened out the steering wheel. It was on a couple of splines off and it annoyed the hell out of me.

Then I started the tuneup on Betty's 914. Go to open the engine lid, and it hits the rear trunk lid and won't open. Finally get it open to find out that I have a broken engine lid mount. So I spend a 90 minutes rewelding the mount. While I am laying over the rear decklid, the hinge for the rear trunk breaks, and the lid pops up and bangs into my chest. headbang.gif

Luckly I had a replacement hinge sitting there waiting to go on. I planned on fixing this anyway, as the DACM (Dumb @SS Current Mechanic) welded the hinge pivot on in the wrong location years ago. I clean up the hinge and reweld it. Now everything works fine.

As for the tuneup. I go looking, and I forgot to buy the spark plugs headbang.gif

So now I need to go buy spark plugs, new rollers for the rear trunk lid torsion bars, rubber stops for the engine lid, and new, all metal retainers for the engine lid letters.

Does anyone have the problem of the rubber in the engine lid letter retainers melting and causing the letters to fall off?

Aaron Cox
clay - get a camp914 hood shocks kit....

how many rollers would you liek to buy before justifying the cost of a set of shox smile.gif

and dont gimme the "its toooo hard to put the targa in with the shocks"
WRX914
r u using plastic nuts?

if you are, go to Home Depot or Loews. You can buy metal fasteners there.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 1 2006, 12:29 PM)
clay - get a camp914 hood shocks kit....

how many rollers would you liek to buy before justifying the cost of a set of shox smile.gif

and dont gimme the "its toooo hard to put the targa in with the shocks"

This one is NOT my choice...

Talk to the car's owner. She wants it stock. I am just the mechanic here. She won't even let me put on one of James Adam's hinge pivot kits.

(Although after getting hit in the head with the hood on our BMW, I don't like gas struts....)

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.