Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electrical Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
obscurity
Ok so I am relatively new to automobile electrical and my car 914 won't start. This is what I get:

with the ignition on, when I manually open the points I can get the coil to spark.

When I open the points by using the starter to turn the engine over I get no spark from the coil

The car is a '71 914-4 1.7 that has sat for 8 years but ran when it was parked

Any ideas would be appreciated

SirAndy
QUOTE (obscurity @ Mar 3 2006, 07:38 PM)
Any ideas would be appreciated

did you watch the points when cranking the starter? do they actually open? maybe all you need is an adjustment ...

just an idea ...
idea.gif Andy
obscurity
they are definitelt opening and closing. I get little sparks at the points when they open but nothing at the coil
SirAndy
QUOTE (obscurity @ Mar 3 2006, 07:50 PM)
they are definitelt opening and closing.  I get little sparks at the points when they open but nothing at the coil

coil could be bad, do you have a spare one you can try?

idea.gif Andy

PS: i'm just throwing ideas at you, i don't really have a clue as to what could be wrong ...
obscurity
The coil that gives the spark is actually a spare I had from my VW bug. Its old but as far as I know it is still good. The original one I took out of the car gave a very weak spark
lapuwali

If you're getting sparks at the points, they're arcing. The condensor is dead, or the points gap is way too small. The gap is in the Haynes manual, and is easily adjustable if you have a feeler gauge.
obscurity
I can't find my feeler guage but I set the gap to .016 (haynes) with a blade from something that measured .017 with calipers. I'll try replacing the condenser in the morning. I may also replace the points and coil just for good measure. Is it possible to do this with the distributor in the car?
lapuwali
QUOTE (obscurity @ Mar 3 2006, 08:03 PM)
I can't find my feeler guage but I set the gap to .016 (haynes) with a blade from something that measured .017 with calipers. I'll try replacing the condenser in the morning. I may also replace the points and coil just for good measure. Is it possible to do this with the distributor in the car?

yes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.