Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hey Herb, did the tranny get in yet?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john rogers
I was curious if you had a chance to try it out yet and test a few curves with the limited slip?
hmeeder
Hi John;

Yeah installed the other day and I am very high on the LSD. Even in the slick weather with the crap tires it was very nice to feel the rear hook up. No lifting and spinning of that inside rear. Takes advantage of the very stiff rear configuration I have.

The gearing is a different matter. As I do ocassionally drive the car as a Daily Driver (maybe 1-2 times a week, weather depending) the MSX gear set makes for a nerve jangling ride. 4100 rpm at 70 mph. Mileage has also been compromised (of course, that's not what I built the car for anyway. If I cared that much about the mileage, I'd put the 1.7 back in.)

Compound the higher revs with solid mounts and the Kerry Hunter/Supertrapp combo and the interior has become a hostile environment. The car is extremely aggressive now and you can really feel it punch you in the kidneys when you hit the go pedal.

Tranny shifts great though! The AX next week will tell me more about whether the gearing is that needed. Seems like this would be a great box for smaller tracks (Streets or Buttonwillow, Spring Mountain in it's smaller configuration) and perhaps not as advantageous for Autocrossing combined with the ocassional drive to work. For that purpose perhaps a stock box with a flipped 5th in place of 3rd? We rarely if ever get to 4th at the Q and certainly never 5th.

Dunno, but I'm digging the LSD!

Thanks again for the test drive! I'll let you know more next Sunday!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.