Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Manual vs. Hydraulic Clutch Actuation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GTPatrick
Has anyone tried to convert the manual clutch cable over to hydraulic clutch lines before ??? Has this been discussed before ??? confused24.gif

As to the master & slave cylinder , it seems that at the front end where the clutch pedal is , it could possibly be done but back at the clutch housing it would be hard to come up with a sane workable design . screwy.gif Present day race cars and road cars have hydraulic lines instead of cables so why not the 914 ???

Anyone have any input on this ??? idea.gif type.gif
messix
there are hydrualic throw out bearings. not sure about fitting one up to 901's. worth some research though.
GTPatrick
With the hydraulic actuation, you don't have to worry about adjusting the clutch cable, stretch of the line etc. . The problem that I see is that to mount the master cylinder back on the clutch/transmission would be possibly be a biatch of a conversion . Not unless someone has done it before without too big a hassle . popcorn[1].gif
TravisNeff
Airsix has done this, maybe pics in his blog?
lapuwali
It has been done more than once and more than one way. Cobbling up the pedal box mount is the most challenging part of it. Rich Johnson, I think, sells the parts to do one.

While you don't have to worry about adjusting the cable or dealing with a broken cable, you do have to worry about leaky master and/or slave cylinders. No free lunch. Indeed, I've generally had more trouble with hydraulic clutch setups than cable clutch setups.
type47
vanagons (80-91 vw vans) have hydraulic clutches, maybe some of those parts could be used.
IronHillRestorations
I may have had the first set up, and paid for the R&D for the kit that Rich sells. It uses a 928 master cylinder, and an aftermarket pull type slave cylinder made by CNC (a VW/buggy supplier). It also required a custom weld in bracket to mount the master cylinder, and a bolt on bracket for the slave cylinder. You also have to drill a hole for the m/c push rod.

The master cylinder was actuated directly off the clutch cable pivot up front, with a bolt and a heim joint on the m/c push rod. I ran teflon stainless braid brake line through the cable tube for the hydraulic line. The brake resevior supply line was spliced with a T to supply the system.

The first slave cylinder went south early from heat exposure, so I wrapped the heat exchangers with Thermo-Tech header wrap, and that slave (as far as I know) has been on the car, problem free for about ten years now.
wbergtho
Do a search for hydraulic clutch and you'll see all the conversions you'll want to see. Some were ingenious...some were overkill. I like the guy who can make a clean conversion without killing himself over a month's time (there are a few likw that too). USE THE SEARCH ENGINE! IT WORKS. biggrin.gif
GTPatrick
Thanks for the info . boldblue.gif
turbo914v8
I did this conversion on my 914, but have since moved up to the Tiltion 3 pedal set up. I have pictures of different installs and I also have for sale a partial kit. PM me if your interested.
rick 918-S
QUOTE (turbo914v8 @ Mar 5 2006, 07:29 AM)
I did this conversion on my 914, but have since moved up to the Tiltion 3 pedal set up. I have pictures of different installs and I also have for sale a partial kit. PM me if your interested.

Post the photos in your blog so we can view them here. idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.