Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Retrofit the guts of a 911 clock to a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
2" Porsche clocks (52mm), other than 914 clocks (62mm) are readily available and comparatively cheap. It looks like the guts would slide inside the 914 clock housing. Has anyone tried soemthing like something like this?
dlo914
here;s the cluster im putting into my 14' came off an early golf GTi
dlo914
and a close-up on the clock:

the guts should fit w/out any trouble...slide out old..and slide in new. And if there's too much spacing from the other Porsche clocks you could find some PVC piping of the correct diameter to compensate for the extra space in the housing.
computers4kids
QUOTE (dlo914 @ Mar 4 2006, 10:16 AM)
the guts should fit w/out any trouble...slide out old..and slide in new. And if there's too much spacing from the other Porsche clocks you could find some PVC piping of the correct diameter to compensate for the extra space in the housing.

My clock is in a 914 console which has a 62mm opening as compared to a 52mm opening for a standard 2" guage. I understand your idea of the pvc as a shim, but I don't believe the bezel on the 2" guage would have a wide enough diameter to sufficiently close the console hole and look OK.

Thats why I was thinking of sliding the timing guts into the 914 guage housing.
dlo914
QUOTE (computers4kids @ Mar 4 2006, 10:24 AM)
QUOTE (dlo914 @ Mar 4 2006, 10:16 AM)

My clock is in a 914 console which has a 62mm opening as compared to a 52mm opening for a standard 2" guage. I understand your idea of the pvc as a shim, but I don't believe the bezel on the 2" guage would have a wide enough diameter to sufficiently close the console hole and look OK.

Thats why I was thinking of sliding the timing guts into the 914 guage housing.

o i c...and using the clock face off the original clock.
iamchappy
Yes you can place inside of the 914 clock housing, I put a vdo fuel gauge in a 914 voltage gauge housing, and am planning the same for the clock if I dont put some other gauge in there.
I did use some electrical tape wrapped around the smaller housing to make it fit tighter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.