Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1999 996 trans.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
twdevoe
First off forgive my ignorance on porsche transmissions but it seems i can buy the later transmissions cheaper than the 930 or 915's. My question is can a 1999 996 6-speed be used with a 914-V8 conversion?
What has to be done to make it work? Etc, etc.
Thanks guys
blink.gif
Bleyseng
anything can be done "if" you have deep enough pockets piratenanner.gif
IronHillRestorations
You'd probably be better off trying to mate a BoxsterS 6 speed, at least you wouldn't have to worry about the ring and pinion. IF you could put a 996 transmission in a 914, with a V8, I'm thinking it would be much more expensive than doing what has already been done before, as in 915. It's your wallet.
914-8
I think there's a lot of 996 owners asking if they can swap a 914 trans into their cars!
MattR
I cant remember if the 996 trans is a G55, a G50/5. or a G55/5. Its some combination of those. One is a cup trans, one is a street trans, and the other is bogus. I believe all the dimensions are the same though (between the g50 and g55, and g50/5). So if you get a 993 g50 trans to fit, you can get a 996 trans to fit.

My understanding is a g50 from a 993 or 964 is too long for a 914, but I failed out of grade school.
JFJ914
Check with Kennedy Engineering to see if they make an adapter and clutch/flywheel for your V8. You would be way ahead w/the Boxter S 6 speed ( same trans as the 996) as the ring gear is already flopped and it's set up for mid engine shifting. You may be a pioneer, so keep us in the loop!
twdevoe
Fantastic info. guys, ill start by researching the adapter plate to the boxster S trans. ill keep ya posted. Thanks biggrin.gif
plymouth37
QUOTE (twdevoe @ Mar 5 2006, 01:10 PM)
Fantastic info. guys, ill start by researching the adapter plate to the boxster S trans. ill keep ya posted. Thanks biggrin.gif

check the starter location on the boxter trannys, last I checked it was on the engine side, meaning that when you bolt it an to a v8 finding a home for your starter might get a little interesting. flipping a g-50 or 5050 is no problem we do it all the time at renegade hybrids give us a call, we would be happy to walk you through your options. also remember that you might have to cut your rear trunk floor to clear the diff of a g-50 or 5050.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.