Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: passenger side seat stuck
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sj914
My passenger side seat is stuck, it won't adjust enough forward for me to unbolt it off the floor. Any suggestions?
rhodyguy
can't fudge it enough with the tilt feature down to get the 4 bolts out? you might have to get a little physical with the seat. when you get it, clean those rails out.

kevin
boxstr
Have you tried sliding a long screwdriver under the seat on the seatrail and the adjuster so that you can remove the seat and then unbolt the seat tilt bracket?
CCLINRECAROSVILLEl
SirAndy
take the seat out completely first.
press down on the stop with a screwdriver and slide it out. if it hasn't been out in 30 years you'll need some brute force to move it ...

Andy
Jeffs9146
Can you say WD40? Like Boxstr said have you slid the long screw driver in the seat rail and pushed up the stop pin? Once the seat is out, you should have access to everything!

Jeff
campbellcj
I have been able to "pry" them forward before. Try something like a baseball bat or jack-handle. (NOTE: if you have a nice backpad installed, you may want to avoid this method, or put a board or something behind the lever to pry against).

If the rails aren't -perfectly- straight and parallel on the bottom of the seat, the seat can be a real beotch to slide on its base.
sj914
I'll try using a screwdriver first, I see where the little adjusting thing is. After a lot of looking around I saw what was keeping the adjusting lever from moving and I don't know how but it looks like a quarter stuck between the rails.
Jeffs9146
AAAAHH the old quarter stuck between the rail situation! idea.gif

Jeff
sj914
Yea don't know, do know how but it's there. Good thing is I got so frustrated I started pulling everything else out of the interior to find out that it looks pretty clean under the carpets, but we'll have to see when I get the passenger seat out.
Aaron Cox
well...when you get the rails out.... and want to replace them. i have a set. confused24.gif
( i know i know, classifieds!)
sj914
acox914,
Thanks.
But the rails look really good, still looks like new. kinda grimmy but should clean nicely.
VegasRacer
I'll take the quarter if you don't want it.
sj914
It's yours, but it might get bent and mangled when I get to it. Damn change. headbang.gif
sj914
headbang.gif I'm about ready to drill through the fiberglass and surgically thrash the seat to get the damn thing off. Anyone else have any ideas. headbang.gif
SirAndy
can you get to the 2 screws in the front that hold the hight adjuster lock for the rails? (see attached pic)
if so, remove those, you can then move the seat up (with the rails still on it),
that'll give you much better access to the underside and rails ...
VegasRacer
Turn the car upside down and shake it.
Gravity will cause the quarter to fall to the ground at 32ft/sec/sec.
VOILA!
SirAndy
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Sep 10 2003, 10:00 PM)
Turn the car upside down and shake it.
Gravity will cause the quarter to fall to the ground at 32ft/sec/sec.
VOILA!

ahhh, the good old gravity-trick idea.gif

that's probably how it got there in first place ...
Andy
sj914
Thanks Andy.

I'll try that in the morning.
rhodyguy
so the moral to this tale is... if your seat doesn't slide back easily (ie pushing with both feet) a quarter may be in the rail. "wtf? the seat won't go all the way back." push HARDER.

kevin
Rusty
Push harder but don't force it. If it's stuck, it's probably rusted up tight. No need to rip or tear any of the metal. Your leg muscles can apply a HUGE amount of force.

Try penetrant.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.