Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission Hard to Shift
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nick mironov
This a new V8 conversion.

I don't know how many miles are on the transmission - either 60,000 or 160,000 since the odometer was stopped at 60,000 when I got the car and then did the conversion. Previous owner is second owner who says the first owner said it only has 60,000 miles. Who knows...

I am using the transmission as a 4 speed. Original gears 2 through 5 are now known as 1 through 4. I do not use the original 1st gear.

I have all new shifter bushings. The gear oil is new (GL-5) and the case is full.

Before the engine has warmed up to 180 Degrees F, all gears shift smoothly both up and down.

After it gets hot, it becomes hard to shift into the new 1st gear (original second gear) after coming to a stop . Sometimes it won't go in at all - in this case I try to push it in and let out the clutch about 1/3 of the way and then I get a grind out of it and it then engages. Downshifting while moving does not seem to be a problem. It seems to be a random problem - I have not yet determined any specific circumstances under which this problem occurs.

I read other threads that recommended cable adjustment. I have done that, but that is not the problem. It is adjusted so that the clutch starts to engage at about the lower 1/3 to 1/2 travel of the pedal, Below that, it is clearly not engaged.

Any suggestions on the problem?

Nick
bd1308
the Porsche type of synchros used in these transmissions do not being shifted at a stop.

My 1st gear sometimes doesnt engage....so i shift into neutral and then into first (or second for you)....

b
Bleyseng
try using swepco oil
make sure you don't overfill
adjust the clutch cable
grease the shifter bushing and buy a cover for the sideshift console

replace 2nd gear synchro if all else fails. dry.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Mar 5 2006, 01:48 PM)
try using swepco oil
make sure you don't overfill
adjust the clutch cable
grease the shifter bushing and buy a cover for the sideshift console

replace 2nd gear synchro if all else fails. dry.gif

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.