Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starting my restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bertus
Just want to post some pics to keep myself motivated. I have stripped the interior, removed the rockers, and pulled the engine. Longs are in good shape, only the bottom of the jack post supports where rusted, removed and cleaned those up. Floorpans are in good shape, do have some rust on the weld seam behind the drivers seat on the fire wall. Hell hole has some issues. Purchased Engmans hell-hole repair kit and a battery support and tray from restoration design. Removed the tray and support today. What do you guys suggest to cut out the suspect areas in the hole hole with?

Thanks!

Bert
Bertus
Hell Hole issues! ohmy.gif
Bertus
Without tray
Bleyseng
4" grinder with the super thin metal cutting discs
cheesy Dremel for tight spots
A Bosch jigsaw with a metal blade works too

Figure out what you want to replace first
make a pattern outta cardboard
fit, fit and then make the metal piece, fit and trial fit
Clean Clean the metal to be welded
spot weld and stitch weld the metal in slowly so it doesnt warp

OR just rip out the rusty crap and weld in metal over it wink.gif
grasshopper
that hell hole really doesn't look that bad.... what looks bad is your wiring icon8.gif
Bertus
QUOTE (grasshopper @ Mar 5 2006, 05:10 PM)
that hell hole really doesn't look that bad.... what looks bad is your wiring icon8.gif

I'll tidy them up. Now where did that yellow wire go......? wink.gif
robby750
Bert, you better get busy! You have a lot of work to do before the Bluegrass Classic!
bd1308
Lookin good man, looking good. Do you have D-jet on that or carbs, I forgot....

I think carbs.

b
Bertus
QUOTE (robby750 @ Mar 6 2006, 05:53 AM)
Bert, you better get busy! You have a lot of work to do before the Bluegrass Classic!

I know! It will be running by then or else! If nothing else I'll have the engine back in, 1 seat and a stearing wheel. Should have started this earlier in the winter, oh well!
Bertus
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Mar 6 2006, 06:09 AM)
Lookin good man, looking good. Do you have D-jet on that or carbs, I forgot....

I think carbs.

b

Hey Britt, it came with Weber 44's. Has a web cam and stuff. Has a lot more power than the car I used to have (1.8L).
Bleyseng
and it runs hot cuz its got that oil cooler laying on the engine.

Alot of the metal looks like it just needs to be clean back to bare metal. Start there with sanding and grinding then work on replacement as you will find how much you need to replace.
smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
Bertus
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Mar 6 2006, 07:02 AM)
and it runs hot cuz its got that oil cooler laying on the engine.

Alot of the metal looks like it just needs to be clean back to bare metal. Start there with sanding and grinding then work on replacement as you will find how much you need to replace.
smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

A lot of the metal is still solid. Just down in the corner is where the holes are.
Bertus
Did some work this past week. I did a bunch of paint and rust removal, and Chris Davis (CDMCSE) was nice enough to come over and help with some welding this weekend. Not done yet but I'll post a few pics anyway.

biggrin.gif
Bertus
Chris welding. smilie_pokal.gif
Bertus
Not complete but pieces are in place!
riverman
Good work! beerchug.gif Fun, isn't it?
Bertus
QUOTE (riverman @ Mar 20 2006, 07:56 PM)
Good work! beerchug.gif Fun, isn't it?

You bet! Just wish I had got an earlier start on it! Starting to warm up here down south, and I am getting antsy to be driving.gif instead of sawzall-smiley.gif
Lou W
Hell hole sure cleaned up nicely. sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
Bertus
QUOTE (Lou W @ Mar 20 2006, 08:01 PM)
Hell hole sure cleaned up nicely. sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

Thank you! This weekend hopefully we will tackle the fire wall! ohmy.gif
Bertus
A little update here. Last left this post with having just welded in the hell hole repair kit. Started poking around in the same area behind the drivers side and it was just as bad! So needed to cut that stuff out, cut out the rotten piece of firewall, and then weld in replacement metal. Once again a big thanks to Chris (CDMCSE) for his advice and help with the welding! beerchug.gif welder.gif

Here are some pics of the progress.
Bertus
rotten firewall...
Bertus
replacement piece in...
Bertus
ditto
Bertus
taking paint off of the firewall...
Bertus
POR15 ...
grasshopper
wow, that looks awsome! much faster than mine is going. what did you use to strip all of the metal in there???
Bertus
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Apr 22 2006, 07:56 PM) *

wow, that looks awsome! much faster than mine is going. what did you use to strip all of the metal in there???

Thanks! Kind of a combination of things. In areas where access was not a problem I used a 4" "Stainless steel stringer bead knot wire wheel" (Harbour Freight) it made the fastest work out of paint removal. A good mask is a must when using this because it kicks up the dust!
I used assorted wire brushes on the drill, and paint stripper for the hard to get places. It was a lot of work but worth the effort.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.